Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sons first bird

KPM

Life Member
After listening to the coyotes in the timbers across the road on our hike into the area we are going to set up and hopefully not be disturbed by them today. After setting up the Double Bull and crawling out to set the decoys, I spook a bird roosted right above the logging road. We get back inside and wait for the gobbling and nothing close by. We are in a spot that they will wander by if nothing else fails. At 0545 one longbeard shows up and struts about 60yds out and have trouble even getting him to gobble or move closer. I go into the silent mode and he leaves. Another longbeard shows up from the west, goes to the same spot the other strutted in and leaves with atleast giving us a couple of gobbles. My son spots one still strutting on his roost. I thought this bird was long gone or died of old age, since I haven't seen or heard him all year. He stayed on his perch until 0715 when a couple of hens came walking thru. Then the 2 longbeards that we seen earlier made their apperance at 25yds and he was not able to get on either of them and get a shot. Then the one the I have been after (and believe me I have a name for him that is not very nice) finally flies down and sneaks in without making a sound as normal, struts at 15yds in the timber and the kid can't get a shot off at this one either and walks back to where he came from. About an hour later we had 4 jakes come in and left the same direction the the toms went. It wasn't long and the fighting purrs and wings filled the air. They are coming back our way now and stop to assess the area, then the race is on trying to be the first one in. Two of them came running in and stopped about 20yds out and he was able to get on the lead bird and dropped him with his 20ga as the others flew off. He was pretty happy and wanted to hurry home with his turkey for a mothers day present for his mom. I wish he could have gotten the one that I have been after, but maybe he will still be there next year and make a mistake.
I thought I had the photo figured out.

426KPM2.jpg

426KPM.jpg
peace.gif

Top Bottom