Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South Dakota Deer Decline

blake

Life Member
Weather Causing South Dakota Deer Decline

SPEARFISH, S.D. (AP) — A biologist says weather patterns, not mountain lions, are responsible for the recent decline in the number of deer in the Black Hills.

John Laundre, who appeared Saturday at Black Hills State University in Spearfish, said lower winter temperatures and more snow since 2007 have increased stress on deer and lowered their numbers.

According to Rapid City television station KEVN, Laundre said mild winters during an eight-year drought from 2000-2007 accounted for an increased deer population.

Laundre lectured at the invitation of the Black Hills Mountain Lion Foundation, which is trying to counter a movement calling for a reduction in the number of mountain lions.

Laundre said far more humans are killed each year in deer-automobile collisions than are killed by mountain lions.

Yeah, I seen that article and it made me laught a little bit. I guess the reacent rise in the Mt. Lion population has absolutely nothing to do with the declining deer numbers.

Top Bottom