Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Southern Counties Hunting

Legislation can dictate the season dates and the amount of licenses available, but truly the only group that can determine the herd size is the hunter and Mother Nature.

Srich, not sure where u get your numbers. The latest dnr data, from oct 2012, shows predicted population after season to be 250,000 plus. Also the max population was about 450,000 in the early to mid 2000's. And that only shot up in the mid to late 90's. So yes population is down, but nothing like you state. Id like more deer too, but let's use accurate information to support our arguments.

You bet and proud of it! Have had a "Hanyak" personal license plate since the mid 90's. I presume you are Czech also if you know what the moniker stands for.

You bet and proud of it! Have had a "Hanyak" personal license plate since the mid 90's. I presume you are Czech also if you know what the moniker stands for.
The small town where I grew up, you were either kraut or bohunk. ;)

Srich, not sure where u get your numbers. The latest dnr data, from oct 2012, shows predicted population after season to be 250,000 plus. Also the max population was about 450,000 in the early to mid 2000's. And that only shot up in the mid to late 90's. So yes population is down, but nothing like you state. Id like more deer too, but let's use accurate information to support our arguments.

Sorry dad..just repeating what I read in a reputable magazine... What makes your numbers correct?

I recently got a new 30-06 and want to use it this antler less season. Do you guys know of any public land that I should look into? Preferably in South Central Iowa. Or if you have any land you would like a doe taken off of please respond!

Thanks in advance,

Justin

What kind of gun did you get?
let's see some pics. I love lookin at fire arms. :D

Sorry dad..just repeating what I read in a reputable magazine... What makes your numbers correct?
They are from the annual DNR population and harvet reports. The last several years are available on the DNR website. Pretty intersting reading, especially for people interested in deer population.

"who should decide deer numbers?"
That is a good question.
Right now, I personally think the DNR has the right stance on deer numbers. They feel that most of the upper 2/3rd's of state are at or well below how many deer there "should be". What there "should be" is different among many groups. I agree with the DNR because they know the upper 2/3rd's are hammered for numbers and some pockets in south. They look at: carrying capacity, damage/accidents/crops, hunter satisfaction, etc.

Now, another group that has a different take.... Farm Bureau and their lobbyists working very very hard (with big $) with Brandstad and others. They have a different opinion. Truly, I think they'd love to see every deer dead (FB). They have a minority members (at FB) that cry out like crazy, want every last $ they can (think every deer gone will make them a little more $) and would love every single deer dead (which I strongly believe with reason). FB looks at NOTHING like carrying capacity, hunter enjoyment, herd health, etc- zero consideration.

So- who is right?? There's also folks in between the 2. Farm Bureau has huge $, voice & influence. Likely, a few hundred members creating this force, then getting FB behind it with others. I'd call them the minority for sure.

In this example, I agree with the DNR. They want & tried to stop this season. They have said "it has accomplised its goals, it's time to go back to the normal 3.5 month hunting season". I personally think this season exists whole heartedly from $, FB, politicians & special interests. There's also too many folks that would hunt all year round if "they were legally allowed to". Regulations, unfortunately, will be by far the strongest dictator of a healthy & well managed deer herd on average.
¯“

Last edited:
Very well put, Sligh. I agree 100%. Ultimately we as hunters will decide how many deer are harvested each season regardless of the tags available. If we strive to make good harvest decisions and truly be good conservationists, then the deer herd will be what we make it. Spreading awareness amongst other hunters; especially those hunt, but dont live it and breathe it 365 days a year like most of us; is probably the best thing we can do.

Ultimately we as hunters will decide how many deer are harvested each season regardless of the tags available. If we strive to make good harvest decisions and truly be good conservationists, then the deer herd will be what we make it.

:D
Your kill'in me!! Wake up Eienstien! You and your buds will Never pay out enuff money to decide ...How Many deer Are Harvested!! :D Wake! Up!!

:D
Your kill'in me!! Wake up Eienstien! You and your buds will Never pay out enuff money to decide ...How Many deer Are Harvested!! :D Wake! Up!!

We may not have the money. Correct. But I believe that because I am the one pulling the trigger, I have the power. They can sell all the tags they want, but they cant make me fill them.

Its good to have optimism, but.....it only takes a very small percentage of hunters (who don't share the same values) that can decimate area numbers. I see it every year. Their is a big difference between being a hunter, and being a shooter. A hunter hunts deer for the experience and enjoyment of the outdoors, along with a respect for his game. A shooter enjoys shooting guns and killing animals...believe me, conserving is not on a shooters mind. He could care less about herd health or deer numbers, if he can shoot deer in season he will. This is why the season needs to be shut down.

Top Bottom