Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Soybean Food Plot Help

DeerHunter3

Guys,

I just planted my bean food plot last Monday. I used appox 1.5 bags for an acre however I only have a 20% stand after 7 days...should I cut my loss and till the ground up again for re seed? The ground was probably a little to wet when I seeded and end result was a rock hard seed bed, unless we get a couple days of rain I think a lot of the seed will be a lost cause. I would like to get a decent stand of beans and then broadcast winter rye in it later down the road. What are your thoughts???

Thanks!

I'd wait a little bit. I would not want beans in any bit past July 1 but u do have time on ur side if ur talking waiting a week or 2. Some beans could come through with a nice rain but u will know soon. Obviously if the soil went really hard the beans couldn't break through and "broke neck" but u pry have couple more days.
Wait till its nice and dry next time and U'll of course be far better off. I'm guessing beans r toast but U'll know soon. With only an acre to do- just wait til things r perfect if u gotta re-seed. Good luck, u have plenty of opportunity to make sure they turn out great

If they were year old Seed-Coated beans, the germination may have been that low. Beans lose germination much faster than corn, and treated beans much faster yet. Were they pink or blue and last years' seed?

We planted year old test plot beans a few years back, not a good idea! 99% did not grow! Had to replant with some fresh ones. I would see of you can't dig some seeds up and see what they are doing. The seed health should let you know what your next step is. Good Luck!

www.trailcamtrophies.com

We plant year old seed every year...mainly because it's free :D

Plant a little heavier than normal, and it turns out fine most of the time.

NWBuck

I too have had good luck with year old Roundup Ready test plot beans. Too bad that after about 6 years I have so many RR weeds that I now plant Liberty Link beans and nobody has year old LL soybeans for free... :(

All the beans I planted are year old, they are round up ready and treated. Last time I checked the plot (7 days after planting) there was only about a 20% stand. Is there any chance with the seeds still on the surface that the large rain totals will get them going? Or once they got wet the first time and didn't germinate they are toast? I am planning on giving it more time to see what happens but I leaning toward a re plant. Any thoughts on this?

All the beans I planted are year old, they are round up ready and treated. Last time I checked the plot (7 days after planting) there was only about a 20% stand. Is there any chance with the seeds still on the surface that the large rain totals will get them going? Or once they got wet the first time and didn't germinate they are toast? I am planning on giving it more time to see what happens but I leaning toward a re plant. Any thoughts on this?
When you say the beans being on the surface what do you mean? How did you plant them?

sounds like it's been 10 days now roughly. If you have not got beans up after these recent rains, you got your answer. If you need to redo it, I'd do it promptly whe "ideal conditions" present and after you figure out how much your germination rate is, I'd be putting in 300k seeds per acre on a small plot like that as your seeding method isn't going to b perfect and deer will thin them out. If you haven't, side note, I'd be adding Pellitized lime to the mix.

sounds like it's been 10 days now roughly. If you have not got beans up after these recent rains, you got your answer. If you need to redo it, I'd do it promptly whe "ideal conditions" present and after you figure out how much your germination rate is, I'd be putting in 300k seeds per acre on a small plot like that as your seeding method isn't going to b perfect and deer will thin them out. If you haven't, side note, I'd be adding Pellitized lime to the mix.

Thanks Sligh! I will check it out and see what it looks like and go from there.

Top Bottom