special season

I heard "special season" and the dates but nothing else a few minutes ago. It has to be nothing but money driving this chit if it's state wide. Have they forgotten there are OTHER seasons already in place???? Maybe we need to boycott deer hunting for a season.............yea right. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Yea and I haven't killed my deer with a bow yet does this mean I can hunt until I do? Why don't they just give away some damn doe licenses next year to make up for it? What will it take, a person getting shot because they're not wearing orange from overlapping seasons? It's hard enough to shoot a buck late season without spooking them even further.

"About 34,000 less deer have been hunted this year compared to 2006, according to agency statistics."

Does anyone out there know that there is a difference between hunted and HARVESTED? Did they ever think that maybe there aren't as many deer to be HUNTED?

I looked at the "live" harvest numbers yesterday and noticed that it was lagging behind DNR expectations. I wondered if they would do something like this.

I thought they were targeting a harvest of somewhere around 175,000 and sitting at 104,000 right now, I wonder where they get 34,000 as the number needed? Maybe looking at number of late muzzleloader, late antlerless and second season tags still out there? Then use traditional harvest percentages to come up with the 34K shortfall?

Ok, reread it. Looks like we are 34,000 behind last year's harvest, at the same point in time. Didn't they say reporting was problematic last year, so we might be further behind?

Man that would suck. I have been watching the harvest report and after the first day of shotgun season there was 42,160 deer harvested and now we are at 104720. I will say that I am surprised about the low numbers of hunters I have been seeing out and about. During the 1st weekend of deer season I drove over 200 miles on sunday all across the state and only saw a couple of groups hunting, then I drove another 200 miles on last sunday all around decorah and all the areas I thought would be getting pounded and only saw 2 small groups of hunters hunting. I was shocked to say the least. I drove by tons of public areas figuring they would be getting pounded, there wasnt even any fresh tracks indicating anybody has even attempted to hunt any of them. It might be an awesome late muzz or one heck of a bow season next year.

These low numbers are going to be a perfect reason for the State to lobby for a rise in NR tags next year...........watch and see.

Maybe they could try something like the Iowa Lottery does. Turn in X number of un-filled tags and recieve a single doe-only tag good until January /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I bought 3 tags this year, and because of various circumstances, I didn't fill any of them. I just want a second chance to shoot at least one.

this might just be hear-say....
dont get your undies in a bundle yet.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Is there anyone we can e-mail or contact before Thursday to send our words of encouragement/pleas /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

There will never be enough deer killed to please many people. especially those that see them as a Liability. Those people outnumber hunters unfortunately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it illegal to report a deer even if you didn't shoot one? </div></div>
I dont know if its illegal or not. Lets say they decide to offer a second chance to fill unfilled tags, having called in that tag erroneously would sure make a person SOL... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

I am a programmer, I don't know the internal workings of the DNR's system, but Logistically speaking, I think it would be pretty hard to make more tags available for purchase this late in the year. However, it should be a simple switch to allow expired unused tags to be called in.

The DNR wouldn't make any extra revenue that way, but it sure would make alot of hunters happy /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I don't think it will happen, but if it does, hopefully they do it as doe only! Going to be tough on deer and people to have a bow, gun and muzz season all going at the same time. I have unfilled tags as well. But if I had waited all year for late muzz and then they opened the flood gates again, I certainly wouldn't be too happy! This year has been tough hunting! Another season probably won't make up the numbers they are hoping for! They had the nov. season already! You can't put an exact number on wildlife!

I do agree with Bickal, it would be nice for some hunters to fill tags, but the I just can't see the DNR allowing people to hunt on unused tags! They want revenue. And if they are going to "give" tags for this, then hopefully they can give out some extra doe tags next year!

Like it or not, the bottom line is most of the deer harvested are taken during the shotgun seasons. With the weather the past two weekends, that harvest hasn't taken place. I'd personally rather see a special season to deal with the situation now, rather than have the insurance lobby look at the low harvest numbers and say we need to open it up to NR's, rifles, etc.

Do I really want shotgunners out during MY late muzzleloader season? No. But I'd rather share a few days now than lose far more in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doubleaarchery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think it will happen, but if it does, hopefully they do it as doe only! Going to be tough on deer and people to have a bow, gun and muzz season all going at the same time. I have unfilled tags as well. But if I had waited all year for late muzz and then they opened the flood gates again, I certainly wouldn't be too happy! This year has been tough hunting! Another season probably won't make up the numbers they are hoping for! They had the nov. season already! You can't put an exact number on wildlife!</div></div>

I couldn't agree more.

The reason I enjoy and hunt late season muzzy is because of the laid back, subtle approach to it. I'm with you DoubleA in that I wouldn't be very happy with it either.

I really do not think it will make a differnce in the harvest totals at all. Not a lot of people want to go thru all the snow and ice out there now.
In southern Iowa we now have ice to contend with and in N.E. Iowa
we have ice and snow to contend with on all of the sidehills.
It was just one of those things with the weather this year.

Should make for a great bowseason next year.

Back