Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

spoiled meat

Fulldrw

I shot a doe on Friday 11-16-07 at noon. I didn't get to her until around 6 to gut it. Then i hung it in my garage with the windows open, skin on. Daily high was 50 lows into 30. Hung it until sunday night, when i quartered it to put in the fridge since it was suppose to be 60 today. The meat had a different smell, kind of like i got some shit on it when gutting. It was mostly towards the front end in the blood shot meat, so i pitched some of it and kept some. I wouldn't think it would spoil in that weather would you, thoughts or opinions on what i should have done?

As soon as you hung it, you should have probably skinned her right away. If I'm going to hang a deer in those kind of temps, I always cool them down with the water hose before I hang them. Then, once they are hanging, I skin them. Really cools them down. With the skin on, they tend to stay really warm for quite awhile.

I agree with Nanny. You need to get that sweater off of them ASAP and get them cooled down. I also try to hose them out right after gutting and then stop and pick up a couple bags of bags ice to stick in the cavity for the ride home to get them cooled down.

If the temps are anywhere above 40 degrees I won't hang deer for any extended time, especially if I can't get the hides knocked off them. These stupid warm temps are good for the HUSH program and bad for my freezer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 180class</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I second what Nanny said.</div></div>

if you are gonna hang a deer in these temps, put a few bags on ice in the chest cavity, and bungee cord a bag between his hams....
but like you guys have said, in these temps, they get taken care of immediately....
if it aint freezen, they go into the freezer right away

I guess i will just note that for the next time. I think that it would probably be safe to keep the meat that didn't smell either, don't you think. It smells like good deer meat does. From now on i'll either quarter and put in garbage bags in the fridge or skin and pack with ice.

we always skin ours right away. cools faster, and, with the skin off, you can guage whats going on with the meat better. if it were skinned, a few days at those temps wouldn't have hurt anything at all. i would say it sounds like something got on the meat. stomach contents, fecal matter, etc. 3 days at those temps should have been great.
when they age beef, it sits for a week to 2 weeks at 42 degrees (i believe). now 2 weeks would put you on some very well aged meat, that would probably scare off a few people.

Top Bottom