Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spot Hogg info??

vike4life

PMA Member
I've been thinking of getting a new set of sights. I have heard nothing but good about spot hoggs. Is there anything I should consider about the different models they have? Any spot hogg info would be appreciated.

They do make good sights. I just bought the Hogg-it 5 pin sight. Look at their website to see what all they offer. They have several different options right now, I haven't seen if they have anything new out for 2004 yet. I know that there are alot of guys using them for hunting and 3D. I know OneCam is hooked on them.
icon_chain.gif

The durability is second to none - Best all around site I've used hands down. (and I've field tested many)
grin.gif

Thanks for the response guys. Still a couple questions. Are the .19 pins to dark for hunting? And how important is this third axis leveling deal?
Thanks for the links Muddy. I guess I like the thought of the TR. But have been scared off by some of the quality reports I have read. I don't want to drop a hundred on a sight and then have problems. I have never heard a complaint about the Hoggs. No offense.

Muddy, I just got the new Trophy Ridge Catalog's in the mail. They have a few new things out for this year. A new Pendulem sight. A new gear Drive Adjustment for moving the whole sight housing, and everything else is micro adjust.

vike, that's cool. i used to sell those trophy ridge sights religiously and NEVER had one come back. the only one i had that was bad was when a guy bought it off ebay used from someone. try out all the sights you can as it's your money. a tip i would give to you is to go to the shop you're buying from several times and shoot a different sight each time. if you know how to install them maybe talk to teh manager and take 2 or 3 different sights home with you to try at your leisure and then bring the others back. i did this for several people with sights and stabilizers. a person just does not have enough time to pick out what best suits him at the shop really.

good luck in your search.

Thanks for the tip Muddy. Now what's the story on the 3rd axis leveling??? And since I haven't shot them yet what's your opinion on the .019 pins for hunting??

ive been looking at the hunter hogg it for awhile now. Ive had my eye on it since about last fall. The .019 pins sure do look small.
Chris what sixe do you have on yours?

3rd axis leveling? i'll have to research a bit more on that. as far as the .019 pins, i really like them on my matrix. covers up less of the deer as you aim or sight. the smaller pins make it a little tougher to sight in VERY low light conditions but, if it's that dark then you should not be shooting anyway.

The .019 pins are a little small for low light hunting. What I do is have the .029 pins for 20 & 30 yards and the .019 pins for 40,50,& 60. The .029 pins gather more light.Buy the time you need the extra light gathering you cant see more than 30 yards anyway.

vman,
I don't want to speak for Chris but I am pretty sure he has the Hunter Hogg it, not sure though. I am going to get the Real Deal in the next month or two. I have been using a Copper John Dead Nuts for two years now and am want to try something different. I am also looking at the new Trophy Taker sight they came out with this year.

Chris, any reason to go with the Hunter Hogg it as opposed to the Real Deal?

I have looked at muddy's sight and it does look pretty good. One thing I question is: do you prefer to have one pin line blocked from the bottom or do you like the pins that come all different elevations from the side? At first I really liked muddy's trophy ridge, but then I wondered if the pins coming from the side (even though you see more garbage) wouldn't be better since you can see the bottom and the top of the deer better when you have a pin on him. Just wondering what the majority think here.

Also I only have about two pins that I use for hunting with my current sight setup.

the inline sights are great. you see 98% of the deer rather than 70% when the sight pins come in from the side. it's just getting used to the whole in line thing, once you do, you're hooked.

I have the Hogg-It with the .29 pins. The .19 pins are probably to small for hunting.

I'm not sure how much of the deer I can see with the sight but I do know I can concentrate on and settle the pin on the spot I need to hit without interference from the other pins.

I've never tried an inline sight but it may be more difficult to pick a spot using your middle pins - especially at 30 and 40+ yards.

But then again Muddy did hit that damn duck at 50 yards
waytogo.gif

the 50 yard shot was luck. it was that 105 yard shot across the pond where i ticked it in the tailfeathers that was pure skill.

411THEDUCK-med.JPG

in all seriousness i would prefer the larger sight pins on my 20 yard pin. i noticed a fairly significant difference in light gathering ability between the .29 and the .19 pins. i had the flatliner sight by trophy ridge first and loved it with the .29 size pins. the only reason i have the .19 size pins is because they sent me a matrix for free with the new smaller pins for trial, otherwise i'd have matrix sights with the .29. the smaller sized pins do make me feel like i can "pinpoint" my arrow a little more, but that is probably a psychological thing.

Top Bottom