Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand entrance tactics?

Coach

A friend of mine has this tactic that he learned from a guide that he knows. Here is the scene. I have a stand that I would like to hunt in the morning where I have seen a very big buck and several others cruising. The only problem is that there is no way to get into the stand without walking along a bean field where the deer should be feeding and risk spooking them. My buddy says that he would drive me down the access road to within about 40 yards from my stand, then turn around and drive out. His theory is that deer are used to machinery and trucks and will stop and look at the truck headlights, but generally will not spook, and when the truck leaves they think the coast is clear again. He claims that this tactic works. Do you think he's full of [censored] or should I give it a try tomorrow morning.
bootyshake.gif

I think that is an excellent idea. A few years ago, I had the same scenario except it was a bedding area I wanted to hunt. We drove right past it on the 4 wheeler and he dropped me off next to the tree I had a stand in. I climbed as soon as he was about 75 yards away in the woods and still had the does attention that were on the edge of the bedding area. Soon after he left (5 minutes)I had those does and a nice buck withing bow range feeding. It works out when you have the right scenario. Good Luck with this tactic

A few years ago I saw a nice 8 pt chasing a doe near my stand just minutes before I was going to sit there. Normally I would have walked to the stand, but I had my sister give me a ride on the 4-wheeler. I jumped off the back while it was still slowly moving
nono.gif
and immediately crawled into the stand. It worked since I arrowed him about an hour later. In this case it was common for a 4-wheeler to tear through that field, but I don't know if it will work with your friend's truck. Good luck!

Thanks guys for the boost of confidence that I needed. I just had to confirm that it wasn't a hair-brained plan. I will give it a try tomorrow morning and post the results. The worst thing that can happen is that I get to sit in a oak tree and watch the sunrise, ya can't beat that!
beerchug.gif

On of my places is a little finger not more than 200 yards wide. Right on the north end of it there is a road that goes to a cabin and these people cut wood and all kinds of stuff to keep going in and out including letting his dog run next to the truck. Anyway I can see the truck drive by when I am in my "Lucky" stand (shot 3 bucks from it including my first and second deer) and have had the opportunity for him to drive by while deer where within site. Their reaction - they freeze while the truck drives by as not to be seen and then continue to feed or whatever after it is past. I know from experience driving down a road myself that most deer don't pay any attention until the vehicle stops before they get too spooky.

How many times have I parked my truck and walked 1/2 mile or so in and sat for hours and not seen anything to get out of my stand and see deer within shooting range of my truck? Sometimes I think a pickup would make the best ground blind.

Try a tractor I've been 50 yds or closer of large mature bucks. As long as it don't change speed, it won't panic them at all!!

I'm sure it will work. Last night on the stand, the farmer on who's ground we we hunting was picking corn on the other side of the creek. In short, deer all over, combine not over 100 yards away. They were not concerned at all.

Definatly it will work. Just dont make it too obviouse.

A couple of years back, I shot doe with my muzzle loader while the farmer that owned the gound was combining beans in the same field. He was close enough to the deer he heard the shot and got out to help me gut her.

On another hand, I have seen at least 10 deer this season withing 50 yards of my truck while walking out at dark. Even had two does come up to within 20 yards to investigate the sound of me putting my bow in and all of my scent free clothing in the container.

I really dont think a vehicle weather it is a tractor, combine, 4 wheeler, or a truck gets them too excited. We have farms everywhere and they are used to vehicles of all types.

Boat

Top Bottom