Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting a 75 acre tree planting looking for Ideas 2024

DMarley83

DMARLEY83
So embarking down a few year journey of a very landscape changing project.

Full disclosure My farmer friends would 100% disagree with what I am doing!

Reason for post is looking for ideas to build on.

Here is the basic parameters.

This is a project on which I live. Our intention is to live here as long as god allows. We have 3 young kids who are all involved in hunting and the outdoors and would like to create a magical place for us all to enjoy.

The farm is in a very good neighborhood including good genetics and above average #s. We have good neighbors in all directions and are located in SCIa. We did battle ehd a few years ago 19/20 and have fought back quickly.

The farm is basically 500acres along a water way with roughly 400 acres in production now. A out 30% is hills and 70% is bottomground. The timber areas are along the water ways, creeks, and river.
(Narrow by nature) no large chucks of timber on mine but many large chuncks on all sides.

My goal is to convert about 300 of the 400 acres of tillable acres to conservation. My intention is not financially driven but is a very large factor in all practices....(don't want to go broke in the process) would like to maximize the habitat benefits for the native wildlife. In order of our priorities 1-deer 2- Pheasants/quail 3-Turkeys 4- the rest of the critters. Also by crp practices it allows our family access to the farm year round. Not just when the crops are off....

I'll be happy to provide pics along the way if there is any interest.

I currently have an approved Ripperean Buffer Strip (with trees) approved on 75 acres of the farm. This is kind of my starting block. I intend of getting a majority of the trees from isu.

Would like to make a realistic plan getting a majority of the plants from isu due to past experience. (Have been awsome to work with.) So if making a suggestion please refer to what they offer. We do not intend on tubing or protecting off these trees as it's 600+ trees per acre. We will tube and cage off the special fruit/crop trees.

I do intend on slipping in occasional fruit/crop trees which I will baby a lot more than the .60 seedling but will 95% be from mass production nursery.

We are breaking down the planting Into 3 years. (Roughly 25 acres per year) Doesn't sound like a lot but if you have ever been involved in a tree planting it is A LOT!

They all will be planted along the water water ways roughly 30 yards out on both sides. I'd like to provide food and cover in the planting. In my mind I picture shrubs being the furthest out closest to the field working its way up in height as you get closer to the water ways.

There are the basics.

Here is where we are at.

Shrubs-
Dogwood
/Plumb
/Choke Chery/
button brush

Ever green
-Red cddar
-whitepine
-jack pine
- spruce

Hard Wood's
-White oak
-Swamp oak
-Red oak
-Black walnut
-Hybrid poplar
-Silver maple

Fruit / Crop tress
- Apple
- Pear
- Chestnut
- chickapan

Plan on trying to make as mixed as possible to try to avoid major failures....

I look forward to all opinions and past experiences!

Here is a current pic of the landscape
20240128_134849.jpg

Attachments

• 20240128_134849.jpg
    20240128_134849.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 52
Tks. Can u elaborate on that.
Can u post a link and a quick run down?
Don't try from phone. Use a computer. Zoom to your property. Define area. Run reports. https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/conservat...ns/soils/getting-started-with-web-soil-survey

There is a decent help section.

You can see lots of information tied to the soils on property. Depth to rock, types of trees, water holding ability, etc.

That sounds like a fun project !! I might suggest putting 25-50 tubes and some cage just to get a feel for browse pressure? For comparison.

I did a similar mass planting in Minnesota, 20 years ago and I’d guess I have 75% survival of trees….it’s a good hunting farm now (deer and pheasant)!

Good luck !

One extra tip, re-plant in areas with lower survival every year. An excellent family project !! It won’t take long and you will see more wildlife !

Last edited:
I would not plant white pine unless you are going to fence every single one, I guarantee it will be a waste of your time and money because the deer will kill every single one. I would not plant hybrid poplar or silver maple either. Both grow fast but are junk trees. Remember you are planting this for your kids and grandchildren so don’t worry about fast growing trees. If you do want a maple component I would plant sugar maple. I personally would add pin oak to your hardwoods. Everything else I think looks good. Good luck.

Agree on pines. I have a different view on “fast growing junk trees”. Just opinion or tactic….
I’ll add those so u quickly get a “forest” going. I like all of above thoughts. Fast growing I personally always have that do have benefits…
Ash, hedge, elm, mulberry, box elder, sycamore. Some random ones…. Thornless locust if ever find those. Multiple willow types. Hazelnut.
All except hazelnut….. fast growing trees that can take a beating & get up. Later on- if need to thin u can. But ur goal is to create a forest. U have PLENTY of food producing trees in that list. Now- getting them & the forest to be there requires lots of trees that deer can’t keep up on. I’d tube some of the ones others listed (oaks, chestnut, etc). Also- I’ll have some persimmons for you.

Cedars will be fine + ash, hedge, elm, maple, box elder, sycamore, locust, willow, hybrid poplar & a few others.
75 acres - u can get away with a lot that a guy can’t do with a few acres. I’d still plant thick. Get em going strong & 5-10 years from now u can start slowly & easily thinning em. Some of above will thin themselves (ash, poplar & elm)
I usually plant 50-75% “make a forest fast” & the rest I protect with tubes, etc.

Random things I’ve toyed with… some doable, some not…
Double layer electric fence. A bit more stout & taller.
Scattering seed within my tree planting strategically or sticking seed in ground (just to add more trees) …. Shingle oak, burr, cedar seed, walnut, thornless locust (seed all over- find any city planted trees or landscape trees - very common). shrub seed I collect along interstate, etc etc.
Last- one things in there for birds to perch on…. (Some have hung wires above) …. Birds will add tree seed quickly as well. Young trees 4-5’ tall will get birds in em too.

Thought Winke’s project of spreading acorns and discing them in was an interesting approach at a larger area..

Swamp White Oak should be good one being bottom ground (?).

Keep us updated!

This sounds like the coolest situation and project of all time. Please take lots of photos and video clips. How cool will it be to look back on in 10, 15, 20+ years?!

Sawtooth oak?

Does anyone have first-hand experience with these?

The leaf appears to be the same as a Shingle Oak, not sure if there's a difference?

Main advantage I see is a quick production of nuts but not sure how they will do here in Iowa

Top Bottom