Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

State Fair Calling.....

K

Kokomo Joe

It's great to finally be part of the conversation after being a visitor to this site for a while.

I was wondering if anybody went to the turkey calling competition, and if so what your comments are about it? Kokomo.

it was a straight waste of time the people i dont think even knew what a turkey call was
shocked.gif

I HAVE BEEN CALLING IN CONTEST FOR 17 YEARS AND NO ONE HAS EVER CONTACTED ME ON THIS EVENT. DONT YOU THINK IT WOULD BE IMPORTANT TO HAVE SOME QUALITY AT THE EVENT. IM PISSED TO SAY THE LEAST ABOUT INSULTING THE COMPETITIVE CALLERS OF THIS AREA,NOT EVER REALLY SHOWING PEOPLE WHAT A TURKEY SOUNDS LIKE. AND I AM OUTRAGED TO BE EMBARASSED BY THE LACK OF TALENT APPEARING AT THE STATE FAIR

Unfortunately, both of the comments have hit the nail right on the head, so I might as well spill the beans. I entered-took second place out of four people--BIG WHOOP! Having never entered in a calling contest previously who would have known what to expect. The Iowa State Fair is supposed to be state competition, isn't it? I feel confident enough to call turkeys on command but do not have the credentials like I think you need in order to win.

Only those who were there truly understand what I mean. True Story--after the competition I had a half a dozen total strangers come up to me and tell me I was robbed. In any event,I totally agree with M350 and for future reference I wouldn't reccommend doing the competition next year unless there was some changes. Thanks for listening.--Kokomo

KOKOMO JOE--NOT MEANT TO BE A SLAM ON THOSE WHO HAVE ENOUGH BALLS TO CALL IN FRONT OF A CROWD. THE SLAM IS TOWARDS THE ORGANIZERS. ANY TIME YOU CAN HOLD YOUR COMPOSER KUDOS FOR DOING IT.I CAN GARUNTEE YOU THAT THE STATE FAIR IS NOT THE STATE LEVEL COMPETITION, THE NWTF RECOGNIZES THE SANCTUNED CALLING CONTEST TO BE THE ONE HELD IN C.R. IN 2002. I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT A LOCAL CHAPTER OF THE NWTF IS BEHIND THIS AND SOMEONE IN THAT CHAPTER LIKES TO BRAG ABOUT BEING THE BEST IN THE STATE,HELL WE COULD ALL DO THAT.
4 YEARS AGO ON IOWA PBS ,I SAW A KID WIN THIS CONTEST BY SAYING HERE TURKEY, TURKEY , TURKEY ..I WAS DETERMINED TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS INSULT,,STATE FAIR BOARD REPLY WAS,,,'' WHAT TURKEY CALLING CONTEST''. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHO WAS THERE AND WHO SPONSORED THIS EVENT---I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO CONTACT THEM WITH A FEW QUESTIONS..
SECOND PLACE IS NOT BAD, CONGRATS---AND I MEAN THAT , AS PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED IT TAKES BALLS TO CALL IN FRONT OF A CROWD. I SPEND SEVERAL HUNDRED HOURS A YEAR WORKING AND REWORKING MY CALLING STYLES.THIS YEAR MY 6 YEAR OLD SON TRIED HIS HAND AT COMPETION AND MADE HIS FATHER VERY PROUD----HE MADE TURKEY SOUNDS, NOT ''HERE TURKEY, TURKEY, TURKEY. JUST THE OPINION OF A MAN WITH ALMOST 50 CALLING TITLES TO HIS NAME,FROM 4 DIFFERENT STATES. M350 OUT
let me know who was there ,who the judges were, and how you found out about it----PLEASE

M350---Thank you for the kind words, and I didn't take your original comments as a slam directed toward me. As I mentioned previously, I agree with you. I would tell you the whole story in my own words and opinions, but I would probably get sued. I know what I saw, I read the reaction of the crowd and of total strangers, and it didn't add up to the outcome. I entered to have fun and I did have fun. The problem is when you take something wholesome and taint it in some way, then the fun ends and we have an obligation to question it. I know I'm beating around the bush. Somehow I should communicate to you another way.
On a related note:
As a whole, I have seen things in the hunting industry that would make a billy goat puke. Control, arrogance, red tape, favortism, you name it I've either heard it or witnessed it first hand. We as hunters (or consumers) have a moral obligation to research the brands and items (or anything for that matter) that we support or purchase and ask ourselves: does that truly reflect the person that I am? Especially with the seasons right around the corner. These comments might be too deep for some, but unless we stop supporting what is corrupting the sport, it will never end. Prediction:Enjoy the free horn hunting while it lasts. Thanks for listening----Kokomo Joe.

...is the "turkey calling" contest at the fair suppose to be an actual NWTF type event?...I assumed it was akin to the hog, chicken and cow calling competitions they have...fun but fake...I guess I never assumed it was similar to the Sportshow Contests...

Top Bottom