Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Still Rutting

blake

Life Member
I went out this afternoon to do some Muzzleloader hunting, my first trip out since the season opened.

At 3:30 p.m. I saw four smaller bucks and one nice buck (140+, very heavy rack) chasing a small doe all over the place. The bigger buck was doing his best to keep the other bucks away from her. I managed to close the distance on them several times to less than 100 yards, but was not able to get a decent shot at the bigger buck. I had several opportunities at a couple of the smaller bucks, but the big guy eluded me. They never knew that I was close to them so perhaps they will be in the same area in the morning.

Saw a lot of does at dark feeding in picked corn fields this evening, sure do wish we would get some nasty weather. Anyone else seeing any thing?

i agree................some cold, snowy days would make a huge difference. i'm taking my boy out with a muzzleloader and havn't seen anything accept a few does. we've only went in the afternoon but will try a couple of mornings this coming week. last year the deer were moving a little better in the morning around new years............good luck

I've been out quite a bit here lately and have seen bucks chasing does on 3 different occasions. Seems like every year we experience this kind of activity. Although it's very short lived, it gives you a little sense of gone November.
Pupster

I've heard of a lot of rutting still going down. Interesting.

Good hunting / Bob

This past weekend was a lot like the first weekend in November. I saw several bucks chasing does, mainly looked like the yearling does. I passed a 120" 9pt in a dense thicket over in Illinois Sat eve as he followed a doe out of the thicket. He then proceeded to bull dog the doe across the ridgetop until the went out to the field to feed. A neat little encounter toward the season end but I don't expect to see that agian until Nov 2003

I have been hunting ML since the 28th of Dec. Everyday I have seen bucks herding and chasing does. They are not just running with them, they are attempting to breed them. I witnessed this again this morning as two smaller 8 pointers were chasing this small doe all over a picked corn field.

So for those of you still hunting with ML or Bow, heads up. If you see a doe there is a fair chance that a buck may not be far behind. Good Hunting!

Top Bottom