Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stopping TRESSPASSERS! Frustration!

I drive 10-15 minutes from my farm and knock on doors- if I spend a day on that, I have NEVER had a time where I didn't get permission on at least one farm that was good hunting. Tresspassing is so stupid and not needed if someone is sick of public land.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tresspassing is so stupid and not needed if someone is sick of public land.</div></div>
You are right about the knocking on doors, Ive got permission to hunt most of the private land in the area where I live. At least 1,000 acres worth. Altho I think it helps alot that they are my next door neighbors, or I have personal connections with them. I haven't had such luck in previous years outside my home range.

I just wish public land was better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone NOT have any problems with tresspassers? I am not saying it's everyday on my land but far more than I am cool with (none is all I'm cool with). Anyone not run into this? </div></div>

I am happy to say that I really have never experienced this...that I know about. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I think the "culture" of trespassing is very strong though in certain places, I have run into the problem before, just thankfully never on my farm.

One thing that I think is key though is to develop good relationships with local neighbors. I have allowed some to take old barn boards, hunt themselves in some situations, hunt for mushrooms, trap, etc, in addition to personally talking with them from time to time. But if someone wants to do it I know it would be very hard to stop it 100%.

In my area about everyone stays on their own land,,except for deadbeat, mid-nite poachers. As for asking to hunt,,seems everywhere around me all land is taken,,by family,friends, who hunt. I have talked to many shotgun hunters who have now taken up the bow, and covet their land for themselves. Probably was different awhile back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drive 10-15 minutes from my farm and knock on doors- if I spend a day on that, I have NEVER had a time where I didn't get permission on at least one farm that was good hunting. Tresspassing is so stupid and not needed if someone is sick of public land.</div></div> I agree that access by permission is not a problem. Tresspassing is huge with no help from the law. All my problems are from party hunters and not the individual that stand hunt. One of the groups leaders cussed me out at gun point while his kids countinued to push my land. A great way to teach your kids to respect their neighbors.

I don't have a problem but you can see most of our timber just by driving down the gravel road and it's on a dead end and only 15 acres. Plus it's not exactly a prime big buck area.

Cussed you out at gunpoint! Man you must have more patience than I if that guy isn't either:

A.) In jail
B.) In the hospital

xsnrg,
the group hunters left my buddies ground alone, it's the late season bowhunter that we are having trouble with. Took down two more stands today, I'll bet I get more before the end of the weekend.

I love it when you hunt 5 arcres of timber in your back yard and one morning you get up early to climb in your stand and what, THE FREAKING THING IS GONE!!!!!!!! Sure you all know we could replace our stands pretty easy but that would bring us down to the scum sucken sticky fingered RECTUM HOLES level. Would love to find one of my stands someday, somebody would pay dearly. O ya Muddy is that better? (RECTUM HOLES) You approve bud? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

You guys need to live where everyone knows everyone. The thought of "your name being mud" in the community must work. Access is easy here and the respect for landowners and wanting to be respected by them and their friends family seems to keep people off places they shouldn't be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Musky Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">xsnrg,
the group hunters left my buddies ground alone, it's the late season bowhunter that we are having trouble with. Took down two more stands today, I'll bet I get more before the end of the weekend. </div></div>

Musky, sorry to hear you are having that big of a problem with it. You want to sell any of those stands? lol.

I think it boils down the fact that nobody is going to be there in time to enforce it. You'd have to steel in your veins to stop someone and hold them there until law officials got there. Not to mention if they're not by themselves. I figure that people that are willing to go to that extreme probably wouldn't think twice about doing whatever it takes to leave before DNR or the sheriff gets there.

Like I said, take pictures of them on there and figure out where the vehicle is and take pictures of that to show DNR- they will follow up. Take your cell phone with you as well to call your friends for help/back-up and call DNR right there.

Just the fact that this thread is responded to so much shows that things are screwed up and need to be fixed. This should be a once in a while occurence but I've never hunted any property I had permission to hunt without someone trespassing. Thats 33 yrs hunting ducks ,geese, pheasants deer etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Lastly, I have an old coal mine on my place that I put bodies in of repeat tresspassers, several of the tresspassers on my land have ended up on "Unsolved Mystery's" tv show. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

Abandoned wells work well for that also. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Oh, so "Shoot2Kill" doesn't pertain to just deer! That would make a great posted sign "NO TRESSPASSING- Owner Shoots 2 Kill!"

tresspassers they come in all shapes and sizes from the summer time arrow head hunter to the to the full blown coyote man.how to stop,remember a good offense is a great defense.1your local co on speed dile 2 your spot looks good so make sure someone is hunting there decoy vehicles,i usually use 2 3. shooting houses that can be seen from road.4when someone is seen confront get names numbers plates of vehicles,then contact co with info and prosecute.if they want to be dicks you be a bigger one had one dude tell me he had been hunting there for ten years and and he wasnt about to stop we squared of right in the road the next day he left a nice bag of mushrooms for me on the truck never had another problem with him.you got to show you really care or you will get walked on.one guy told me it wasnt that big of a deal it was just a farm that nobody used that much i told him it was my yard and then i asked him where he lived he said why! i said because i am coming over to your yard tomorrow and do some donuts and see how you like it. has far has are fearless coyote truck hunters just make sure you snare your property and put signs up saying that you are, just use jumps sticks so you catch dogs and not deer.they will just keep driving by then, you have to use your property all the time or someone else will.can someone tell that i am board, could a tresspasser please come and pay me a visit!!

Here's a twist on this subject. Yesterday I went shed hunting on public ground that I've wanted to bow hunt for several years. This area does not have very good access to some parts unless its done by boat on the river. Since the river is now frozen over its no big deal to get on to that ground but what I found was that this public ground is basically being used by adjoining landowners as their own personal playground. There were heavily used 4 wheeler trails all over the place basically ruining large sections of the ground for any type of decent hunting. I followed several of these trails that led directly to the adjoining landowners' property. I put on 2 miles before I got disgusted, turned around, and left. After leaving I drove the road where these landowners live and all the ditches are heavily marked with no trespassing signs. I'm thinking about going back with a camera to get pics and GPS coordinates to turn in to the DNR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USAFVet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm thinking about going back with a camera to get pics and GPS coordinates to turn in to the DNR. </div></div>

Sounds like a good idea.

Here's some good news!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Five men plead guilty to trespass, hunting charges</span>
By Jennifer Meyer of the Muscatine Journal
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>MUSCATINE, Iowa </span>— <span style='font-size: 8pt'><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Five area men pleaded guilty this week to trespass and hunting violations on private property northwest of West Liberty on Dec. 13, 2008.

According to a release from the Department of Natural Resources:

Russell Stagg, 53, West Liberty, will pay a $182 fine and $1,500 civil penalty for unlawful possession of a deer.

Mark Stagg, 26, West Liberty, will pay a $182 fine and $1,500 civil penalty for unlawful possession of a deer.

Kenneth Meyer, 64, Lone Tree, will pay a $260 fine for trespassing.

Andrew Meyer, 25, Lone Tree, will pay a $260 fine for trespassing.

Eric Kirkpatrick, 39, Nichols, will pay a $260 fine for trespassing.

The men were charged by DNR following an investigation of hunters trespassing in Wapsinonoc Township during the second Iowa shotgun deer hunting season.

The Iowa Department of Public Safety and Muscatine County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the investigation</span>.</span>

I just wish we could hear the whole story behind this, I'll bet there is more to it.

Top Bottom