Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Success down South!

ChrisZeller

This is my first post and I don't think there possibly could be a better first post. I have been a long time "lurker" of this forum and really enjoy it even if I am a neighbor to the south of many of you guys. I figured there would be no better way for a first post than a success story. They are always my favorite to read. Are season in Missouri started Sept. 15. i went out the first evening and had a couple oppurtunities at a small buck and a doe. This is my fifth year bowhunting. I have killed 4 does, but the nice bucks have always eluded me(or twice in the past my arrow eluded them). On the cool evening of September 19, 2006 I hung my climber just inside a large patch of timber where a recently combined corn field and a clover fields corners came togeather. The timber all around this corner is very thick except for the little clearing in the woods were I was set up and not to mention all of the larger trees in this clearing were white oaks that had just started dropping. Immediatly after reaching my desired height I noticed deer coming out into the clover on the far side of the field. Could not tell what the majority were because of all the floiage still as I was about 20 yards off of the field. Later a few does and fawns feed right by me heading for the corn field, followed by a small 8 pointer. Around 6:45 I heard something crunching right behind me. I looked right over my right shoulder to see a nice buck at a mere 15 yards. As I waited for him to walk past me so I could stand and draw he starts acting very nervous. I look ahead of him and there is a bobcat heading right in my direction. The buck and the bobcat have a stare off with the buck finally winning. As the buck begins to walk past me I get ready to draw, but wait I hear another deer following right behind. Almost identical as the first buck. As he gets about even with me and the other buck he looks directly at me. I was for sure the gig was going to be over. He tries to scent check me, but comes up with nothing and continues on the path(this instance just reassured me how big of a factor scent control and hunting with the wind in your face actually is). I am finally able to get to full draw on the first buck as I can see a few extra points on his rack and release a perfect arrow at 20 yards. The buck runs about 40 yards stops to catch his breath and expires all with in sight. Finally after five long years, passing many smaller bucks it all came together. Sorry to be so long winded as this whole hunt from the time I spotted the buck to him expiring probably lasted less than a minute. Once again I want to thank everyone for taking time to read my story that I will never forget. This sight is by far one of the top two sights if not the top sight that I visit.

I have pics and would be more than thrilled to share them, but I am extremely slow when it comes to knowing how to post a pciture. I would be more than happy to email them to someone or if anybody has tips on posting pics i am all ears.

Congrats on your buck ... Now lets see some photos!!!
grin.gif

-Longspurs-

Congrats!! Very fun story to read. Lookin' forward to seeing the pics.

Shon

Thanks for all of the replies. I just sent the pics to Kansasbowhunter to be posted. About the bobcat, you can shoot bobcats, but it has to be during furbearer season which starts sometime in Novemeber. I did kill a bobcat with my muzzleloader last December while deer hunting less than 200 yards from where I killed this buck.

Great Story and a helluva Buck Chris. Congrats to you on a great deer!! Could you smile next time though.
grin.gif

Top Bottom