Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Suggestions on planting around culvert

deerdown

Last week I had some work done to fix a crossing that was blowing out a couple times a year.

The culvert was dug up, a seep collar welded on it, and placed back into the ground. Then dirt was placed and packed on and around the culvert.

Bear in mind, this is a 9' diameter culvert, so quite a bit of dirt on and around it.

My question is, what is the best thing to plant to hold the new soil on and around the culvert? I read grasses, but they mentioned big bluestem but I'm not a fan of these bunch grasses. I'd prefer a sod covering grass. Am I wrong in my thinking on this?

Any thoughts around this? Searches aren't coming up with much or I'm not using the right words to describe what I am thinking.

Oats, fescue, brome, Timothy, etc. Oats will hold soil fast, then a combo of a few cool season sod forming grasses - that will get it held.

Drill at light depths but most folks aren’t going to hook up a drill for this. So- spread & pack. Simple. Drive over it to pack it in or whatever u can use to press.

Ok, but what i don't understand is- oats and brome now, and csg this October? Or some other sequence?

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
Top Bottom