Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sunflowers in early fall food plot mix?

Has anybody included sunflowers in their early fall food plot mixes. When I have planted them in the spring the deer tend to decimate them. I was considering putting them in a mix with forage peas or soybeans and possibly crimson clover.

Planted them once...had a super stand come up and then come late summer I had the satisfaction of knowing that every Goldfinch in the northern hemisphere was fed by that field for about two weeks until everything remotely resembling a sunflower seed was vacuumed up.

It was an incredibly beautiful sight to watch hundreds of those birdies fly away enmasse. ..but if you are trying to feed something other than pretty little yellow birds I think you may be disappointed. :)

Deer are opportunists. If it's there, they will eat it, unless something better is close by. Wouldn't hurt to plant them if you have the seed, but doubt they would add much to what you are already planting.

Top Bottom