Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sureshot1's Late Season Monster Doe

sureshot

The Hunt Never Ends....
3590Christophers_2nd_doe_04_II-med.JPG

I shot this Doe at approximately 4:00 p.m. on the evening of December 26th, 2004. I just received a new climbing stand for Christmas (Summit Viper IV) and I decided to try it out. I called two of my hunting buddies to see if they wanted to join me on a late season bowhunt. After meeting me at my home, we headed to one of my favorite hunting spots. I had a tree-stand location in mind which I discovered while trailing a large buck that I had shot in 03'. I positioned my Viper IV next to where a deep ditch started. This natural obstacle created a funnel that deer moved through on the way to feeding areas. 20 minutes after positoning my climbing stand, I glanced up after hearing some noise off to my right. I noticed two does walking my direction. The funnel plan worked better then I had expected; I concluded my bow-season with a perfect 10 yard double-lung shot on the larger of the two does. The doe ran approximately sixty yards up the ridge before crashing onto the forest floor. After climbing down the tree I collected my gear and blood covered arrow. Shortly there after I joined Blake and Geoff to recover my doe. We walked up to the doe and to my surprise Blake found a fresh shed antler. Believe it or not the doe expired within a few feet of the antler that appeared to be from a 150 class buck. This antler was definately a fresh drop even though we were still in the month of December. Although I have encountered and videotaped many monster whitetails this season, they never presented me with a clean shot. All and all the doe was a great way to end my 04-05 bow season. The great thing is most of the monsters I have videotaped will be there come October 1st, 05 (not to mention me right along w/ them). I'd like to end this with a question; "Has anyone found any shed antlers as early as the one that I described above?"

Good Luck in 05!

-Sureshot1

First, congrats on your harvest!
grin.gif

Great when a plan comes together!

To answer your question...the earliest I have found fresh sheds was a matched set on December 30th, 2002.

Congrats again on a great season, enjoyed your story.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys and gals! I forgot to say what the final score was on the Big Mama Scoring System. My dad and I scored her and we came up with a final score of 124 inches! I'm pretty proud, even though it's only a doe!

Thanks,

-Sureshot1

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty proud, even though it's only a doe!

[/ QUOTE ]

ONLY a Doe! There's no such thing. If the buck to doe ratio was 1 to 1 taking a mature doe would be the ultimate achievement for a bowhunter. We use the term "only" simply because we see more of them, not because they're easy. If it seemed easy it was due to good planning on your part.

Congratulations on the BIG Mama!
waytogo.gif

Ditto Rack! I've had several does over the years that I've said silent prayers for the coyotes to get so they wouldn't spread their damn suspicious genes
grin.gif

NWBuck

"I'm pretty proud, even though it's only a doe!"

Ditto Rack and NWBuck, I've hunted areas where the does had been heavily hunted by bow. It was easier to get a shot at a big buck than a year and a half old doe. A friend of mine had to let a 180" buck walk because he hadn't been able to shoot a doe yet. Don't underestimate the difficulty of taking a doe, especially a big old one that knows she is being hunted.
grin.gif

Old Buck

Old does are tough as nails when it comes to hunting. I think the main problem with them is the less elusive nature that a doe has over a bug buck. What I mean by that is that some of them will hang out just out of range and blow, stomp, and flag alerting every deer in the area. Sunday afternoon, I had a doe do just what I described above...she stayed for an hour and a half....Monday I had a similar scenario but she was in range....
grin.gif

Hey whats up buddy nice huge doe I am finelly going to get my pics on here also real soon then i will have you check them out.

Hey Church! sounds like a plan....you've gotta get those pics on here, I want to see some of your deer! I'll cya at school Monday.

-Sureshot1

Top Bottom