Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass preperation

Central Iowa

Life Member
I thought I would share a project my family and I have been working on, We have been prepairing to plant switchgrass since last summer having the fields cut, and bailed twice we also sprayed it with Round Up the first week in Novemver to kill the sod. We were able to get the seed in the ground in early March so things are looking good. I am really impressed how well the late spraying of Round Up killed the sod as the pictures show. We planted about 25 acres I can't wait to see the results.
This picture shows a chicory, clover, plot that will benefit with screening from the switch. On the plot dead sod edge I will be adding a row of miscanthus x giganteus next weekend for added screening.
Sodkill1.JPG

This shows the green up outside the sprayed area. The field in the background was sprayed and seeded as well.
Sodkill2.JPG

Another pict. showing the diffrence between sod sprayed and not sprayed.
Sodkill3.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoessHillsArcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, keep the pics coming, I am interested to see how the Giant M. works! </div></div>

Looks great Travis! It will be interesting for everyone to follow progress of both grasses over the next few years.

Kudos for proper planning and getting the spraying done last fall. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

How you seeding it, drill?
Funding- Biomass program or something?
AWESOME!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Central Iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On the plot dead sod edge I will be adding a row of miscanthus x giganteus next weekend for added screening.
</div></div>

Where did you get it?

Looks like a nice setup. I'm interested to see how the miscanthus giganteus edging works out for you.

Yes, we used a drill. I had a friend ordering some and added some on his order. It was an online nurserey we found doing some searches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Central Iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On the plot dead sod edge I will be adding a row of miscanthus x giganteus next weekend for added screening.
</div></div>

Where did you get it? </div></div>

BRONC you should line the entire road out at the farm with that tall crap! What do you think a 50 foot buffer running a mile or so would cost ya? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Oh, don't forget the west fence as long as you're at it, make it an even mile and a half!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Central Iowa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> On the plot dead sod edge I will be adding a row of miscanthus x giganteus next weekend for added screening.
</div></div>

Where did you get it? </div></div>

BRONC you should line the entire road out at the farm with that tall crap! What do you think a 50 foot buffer running a mile or so would cost ya? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Oh, don't forget the west fence as long as you're at it, make it an even mile and a half! </div></div>

Talk later, gotta run buy a lotto ticket quick...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Top Bottom