Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tactics for Hunting in Extreme N.E. Iowa

risto2351

Well in N.E. Iowa we have the hard crusty ice/snow and received six inches more last night. Speaking with JJohnson there is more snow expected tomorrow night and again this weekend and next week.

I know they will be hitting the feeding areas real hard if they can get thru the ice.

Question is how do you hunt these areas in the morning? Snow is so crunchy that they here you a mile away. Can not get to them from a different way because the hillsides are too slick.

Hunting them at night is no problem unless they bed close to the feeding area and do not come back in a hour or two.

Just trying to see if there is a different way you guys get to the area now or just wait to night and let the other hunters push for you during the day.
Do I just leave them alone in the morning and hunt them at night?
Thanks for the input.

we have the same issue where we hunt, it seems that we bust all kinds of deer in the morning, which sucks!!!

i think the best way to deal with this is to wait till after daylight and get to the stand after there is nothing on the field.

i dont know for sure if this will work, but you will be able to better control what you spook.....

i too, would like to hear some other opinions on this!

Thomas,
Once at night going to my stand I took a turkey call and took my time getting to the stand purring clucking and scratching.

This snow is weird though. You can step on it and it will hold for a second and then you sink with the crunchy thud.

I am just wondering if the deer will come back to feed after daylight during the day since they are so spooked having slugs chase them all over?

Hunger might overtake them maybe.

i guess id try to get as close as possible without spooking
anything, set up camp and wait till daylight.....

once it gets light enough to see clearly, and (if) no deer are on the field, slowly move in.....

i honestly dont know if this will work, but it may be worth a try.....

shotgun deer, especially 2nd season deer get really edgy, and dont tolerate much intrusion.....

having access from the backside through the woods may be a better bet,.......trudging through a field of crunchy snow inthe dark will prolly not go un-noticed.....

im shrugging my shoulders here....

I'd walk in as quiet as I could and try not to get pissed off every time I crunched through the snow. They're going to be spooky so it doesn't matter at this point. No reason to be sitting inside all morning while everyone else is out pushing deer so hopefully we get more snow and that will muffle the sounds of walking.

Get out there into a good funnel and let everyone around you do the pushing, just make the shot when it counts!

Muddy,
Great point. The snow may muffle it. Did not think of that.
We will see.

Unless my fat arse helps me crunch thru it along with gravity. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Wasn't going to sit inside but it is warmer inside the cabin. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

anybody ever try snow shoes? I have considered this many times for this type of snow but have never tried it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hillrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody ever try snow shoes? I have considered this many times for this type of snow but have never tried it. </div></div> I was thinking the same thing, but there has never been a reason for me to buy any here in Iowa. I suppose Cabelas has some and you would be right in the area. This is something I'll have to think about if this snow keeps up for late muzzleloader.....I sure hope so. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I'm hoping that more snow will muffle the noise. If not you may bust a few deer but I know there's a lot of people seeing deer out eating at 10 am. Even after being pushed around all weekend.

I talked to a guy today that has been out all week. He said he's been seeing a ton of deer tracks with blood in them. This ice is really tough on them right now. He also watched thirty turkeys walk up and down a field for two hours the other day and they still didn't find anything they could eat.

Ice sucks but the more snow, the better if you ask me. Late muzzy should be a blast.

Looks like I will need to suck it up in the cold and wait them out in the turnip plots. (shaking because cold gremlin)

Now I just need Kaare to tell us his tips on keeping warm for very long periods. I don't care how much you wear and how many hand warmers and toe warmers you use you will get cold when sitting for long periods. O well I will just need to suck it up.

For those with brassica and turnips (never had turnips before) I assume the deer will paw thru even the ice to get to them ??

Tony

I think todays forecast could give you alot more snow before you get up there this weekend which could change your plans alot!

I guess for me, I get very agressive during gun season! I lay back and watch movement, and wait for deer during bow season, during gun season, I like to get to the heart of it! I like to get in to where the deer are going to be! Sure I bump deer, but if they have been chased off other places, they seem to circle back in! IMO the big boys don't like to be "out running" this time of year! They like to be locked down and they double back on small drives all the time!

So you may spook a couple that beat you into the bedding, but Mr. Big could be feeding late, and if you can beat him to wear he is going then GIDDY UP!!!!

I think deer spot people walking in a lot more then we tend to think, but I believe they are curious!! If you don't go in Stomping around they won't move far, and they will be back!!!

Get aggressive, go in and get em!!!

just my .02!!!

Talking with a landowner hunting by me most of the deer he has been seeing has been on the flat ridges next to the feeding areas. They are not traveling on the hillsides unless it is flat.
Too hard to travel on.

They have been going straight up and down the hills.
CRP may be a great place to hunt due to the footing.

I do know it will be much easier to sit then post and drive them up there.
There is no way a person can walk those hills.

I had this crunchy snow situation a couple years back and actually stalked up on a doe by walking on my toes instead of a flat foot. Once I punched a small hole in the snow/ice, I'd rock my foot back a little, just enough to push off for the next step. It was fairly quiet and took forever. But, I got within 30 yards of her for a clean shot.

Also, I think if you are around their food source, they will come to it in the evening, so maybe go in mid afternoon and sit them out.

The last 2 nights I have see the biggest bucks that I have seen this year out during light in this years seeding. One feeding heavy tonight, one last night checking does.

Top Bottom