Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tag question

iowabucks

My son wants me to go with him shotgun hunting this morning. He has a tag and i dont. Can i legally go with him just to sit in the blind together?

Can i do any driving to him? I'm guessing i need a tag to help him that way?

Last edited:
Well if its youth tag. I think you are able to sit with him because he needs a license hunter him. But with a youth tag you can't push deer.

Looks like i found the answer to my question.

All Participants Must be Licensed - All
participants in a hunt must be properly licensed
and have paid the appropriate fees. It is up to the
discretion of the conservation officer to determine
whether or not a person is “participating.”
Participation includes, but is not limited to,
handling firearms or ammunition during the hunt,
trying to attract game, driving, flushing, or locating
game, and working dogs.

You should be good to go. Just like the regulation section says, do not touch any equipment or assist in any way. I doubt camera guys are always licensed but are still legal to go roll some tape.

One does NOT need a license to observe another hunter, but one does need a license if they participate in the hunt. There can be some gray area though in what constitutes participating.

Consider the case of a cameraman, who does not need a license and may or may not have one accordingly, that says to the licensed hunter..."Here comes a buck." Does that constitute "participating"? I have heard conversation that one CO may not interpret this as participating, but another possibly might.

If you are just chaperoning your son I can't see where that would be any type of a violation.

Sorry my response was for the doing drives part of your question. I should have clarified. Sitting in a blind I wouldn't worry about it though. Just make sure you've got orange on and you should be fine. As long as the CO doesn't want to be a jack.

I called my local CO two years ago to find out if I could accompany a co-worker. I was told that I could not have a weapon or any ammo on me. I could not push or drive. I do not need a license. I could sit with him while he hunted, no problem. I've done it the last two years, next weekend will be the third.

your fine.. go enjoy the hunt with your son! You just cant participate in the hunt (including tracking the animal), but dont hesitate to take a camera just in case:grin: If your in doubt call your local CO and ask him/her. I have talked with mine over the issue and he said its legal. I still have yet to get my father in law out on a hunt. i might have to take him along when my wife and I go during late muzzle. i just hope the box blind keeps the old dog warm lol

Top Bottom