Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taking a non-hunter hunting???

treft133

This winter my wife agreed to go hunting with me during the late muzzleloader season and I was wondering if we would be legal, considering she does not have a hunting license? She would be sitting in a tree stand in the same tree as myself. Would she be legal if she carried our digital camera, to say she was taking pictures or something? I know there was a similar post earlier, but thought that I would ask again, thining this might be a little different case. Thanks guys I apprecaite it.

Don't think you need a license to go along and take pictures. So long as she isn't carrying a bow or firearm, or aiding the hunt in any way (like a drive), I don't think there is anything in the law to prohibt her from going along.

your fine takeing here, i have a carma man with me most times, and been stoped by the DNR and there cool.

Thanks I wanted to make sure before I got her al suited up with some camo clothing and such. Thanks and good luck to all, it is almost here.

Your wife will be fine being with you while she takes pictures---as others have previously stated. On page 7 of the 2006/07 Iowa Hunting and Trapping
Regulations booklet it gives the basic answer to this question:

All Participants Must Be Licensed. All participants in a hunt must be properly licensed and have paid the appropriate fees. It is up to the dicretion of the conservation officer to determine whether or not a person is "participating." Participation includes, but is not limited to, handling firearms or ammunition during the hunt, making animal calls to attract game, driving, flushing, or locating game and working dogs."

Just sittin in a tree stand, or along side you, and just taking photos is perfectly alright. Most of the times the CO has already been observing the actions of people through binoculars or a spotting scope and knows whether someone is actively engaged in the hunting process or is just an observer.

Doug Clayton
State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom