Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taking Down Cams

charbs82

Hey I was wondering how many of you guys take down your cams before the season starts. Ours are still up and probably will be throughout the seasons but just wanted to hear what others do. I have heard guys taking them down because they don't want to disrupt the deer etc. I figured if they haven't bothered the deer for the last 3 months why would it now. I guess just being concious of when and how to get them check may be more difficult.

Just curious as to what others are up to, let me know what ya think.

Just because they are up doesn't mean you have to check em.. I like to leave em up that way I can piss and moan when a 150+ is standing infront of it in broad daylight when I'm not there

Leave em up. They won't scare the deer. You might run a little more risk in-season of having them stolen tho. One thing is for sure though, they wont take pics of deer when sitting at your house.

Why have them if they aren't out there????

Mine go up early July and they don't come down till late december every year.

My favorite time to run cameras is from October 15th through the end of November on scrapes. I love getting pictures of slob rutting whitetails, but mainly I use the cams as a tool to decide where i'm going to hunt based off of what bucks are showing up and if there are any daytime pictures.

My favorite time to run cameras is from October 15th through the end of November on scrapes. I love getting pictures of slob rutting whitetails, but mainly I use the cams as a tool to decide where i'm going to hunt based off of what bucks are showing up and if there are any daytime pictures.
Completely agree word for word. Being an hour away from the land I hunt going to school and working makes my scouting time limited so I use what I have. I usually check my cameras either Friday night on the way into the stand to hunt, or if I can't hunt Friday, I check them after my Saturday morning sit and that will dictate where I plan to hunt the remainder of the weekend. Plus I absolutely love pictures of bucks tearing up scrapes and hitting the licking branches.

Who says they don't bother deer??? Human scent at any time, intrusion, bumping deer, etc- not a big fan. Even in SUMMER mine are on the outskirts of my land. NOW- I have about 75% dedicated to catching trespassers & catch cruising bucks as well (put up now til about Jan 1) and about 25% are only for deer- in travel spots or scrape areas that I can casually get conveniently when I'm hunting that area (like I can walk by it- plan it that way). Folks in GENERAL put WAY WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE on deer and don't understand how pressure impacts MATURE bucks. Just my 2 cents.

Who says they don't bother deer??? Human scent at any time, intrusion, bumping deer, etc- not a big fan. Even in SUMMER mine are on the outskirts of my land. NOW- I have about 75% dedicated to catching trespassers & catch cruising bucks as well (put up now til about Jan 1) and about 25% are only for deer- in travel spots or scrape areas that I can casually get conveniently when I'm hunting that area (like I can walk by it- plan it that way). Folks in GENERAL put WAY WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE on deer and don't understand how pressure impacts MATURE bucks. Just my 2 cents.

Make perfect sense.

yep! I love this time of year for cameras. I do restrict myself on when and where I check them. I put them on scrapes and only scrapes that are in route to and from my sets. i only check them when I hunt so the added pressure isn't a factor for them.
:way:

My hunting buddies and myself put cameras out last weekend on scrapes and trails. We are going to check them again on October 20th, and we'll move all of them to scrapes then. On October 30th we are going to check them all and look to see what we have pictures of, then we'll base these pictures on where we hunt. We have done this for a few years and have had GREAT success in doing so. The trail cameras don't lie and there is nothing like getting a picture of a big buck in daylight hours right before the rut kicks off!

My cameras are out year round for one thing or another. June- september and january-march taking inventory and mid september untill january 10th on scrapes and rubs on feeding areas mostly. October and november may have some on primary scrapes in the timber, but like Sligh said, especially during season, they must be somewhere that can be checked with minimal intrusion. It does'nt do any good to get a mature bucks picture if you blow him out when you check the camera.

Most of our cams are in food and travel areas that are on the way to our stands so the pressure of checking wouldn't be an issue. Probably will move a few to some rubs on the way out mid day this Saturday. I agree can't get pics if they are at home!

Top Bottom