Tanner's final youth buck

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
My son harvested his last youth buck Saturday night during early muzzy season. Tanner called all the shots on this hunt from the set up to the shot. He chose to hunt from the ground after he was uncomfortable with a previous stand site. The set up was at the end of a long brushy finger surrounded by a strip of CRP and beans beyond that. At the end of the finger was a bowl type area and a pond. He chose the edge of the CRP and beans overlooking the pond with the wind in his face.
There was little activity until around 5:15 when the first doe entered the beans. A little later a 100 inch buck, then a fork had a pushing match in the CRP a ways from the pond. Tanner noticed movement closer to the pond which turned out to be some does. A few minutes later he told me he seen a rack, maybe a 140 or so. The does moved on but the buck stayed ripping up the trees. Tanner decided to do a short belly crawl to get a little closer and to gain visibility. Hid did a few grunts and he said he lost the deer in the CRP but he thought he was on the move. He stayed on his belly and pointed the gun down a mowed path toward where he thought the buck would appear. Like magic the buck was coming straight at him down the mowed path. With no chance of the deer giving him a broadside shot, Tanner let the deer get to within 50-60 yards and went with a frontal shot. After the smoke cleared, the deer was down in his tracks. The old buck did have enough energy to raise his head several times so a mercy shot was applied. Tanner has learned a lot from his youth seasons but maybe a short coarse in field judging may be needed!:grin: The buck green scored 198 4/8 net non typical and 201 4/8 gross. This buck has an extremely symmetrical main frame with 44 inches of mass and 17 2/8 non typical points. Tanner’s hoping to have him back for the classic.
986-09_buck_004.jpg
986-09_buck_007.jpg
986-09_buck_005.jpg

Holy smokes! No ground shrinkage with that one. I would shoot 140" bucks every year if they looked like they when I recovered them. Great buck and success story!

Holy Smokes!!! Great Job and did anyone else do the math a clean 181" typical 10pt. That is friggn impressive. I know the non-typical score is greatest but that main frame 10 score is something most of us dream of!!!

P.S. Its gotta be the hat!!!!!

Kevin tell your son congrats. Bruce told me all about the buck and I wanted to come and see it but never made it over. What a great story. Good luck bow hunting.

Congrats on the buck and doing what it took to make the shot happen. Props to you for raising a smart mature hunter.

Back