Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Target panic

vrod

I've got it so bad now that I'm ready to throw my bow away!I have missed 3 does in 3 days at 10 yds or less.Has anyone else had this horrible problem? I cannot believe I can't control my finger anymore.

Try this little breathing exercise: Inhale for 4 seconds (count to 4 in your head) then exhale for 4 seconds. It's a trick to calm yourself down and avoid the target panic. Try it.

I had this going on pretty bad late summer...I don't really know why it came on, but I had not been shooting my bow regularly as in years past.

I shoot a caliper (trigger) release. I mostly cured problem by folding my finger back and forcing myself to hold the pin directly where I needed to hit. It was incredibly difficult to remind my brain that it needed to let the pin linger right on the spot. I went through several sessions where I only shot two arrows, but I drew back 15-20 times. Once I started to come around, I started shooting many arrows a day in different shooting sessions to make sure that my form was back in shape...

I know that this is not a short-term solution and that is probably what you're looking for due to the season being over tomorrow, but hopefully it can help your problem.

How much have you actually practiced shooting your bow over the last two months?

When I got target panic a few years ago it was right at the begining of turkey season. No practice for many months and then too much off the bat. I cured it by getting 5 feet from the target and drawing my bow with my eyes closed. I would hold the bow a few seconds and SLOWLY squeeze the shots off with my eyes still shut. I would do this for 20-30 shots, it really helped to relax before a shooting session and not let anxiety get the best of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cured it by getting 5 feet from the target and drawing my bow with my eyes closed. I would hold the bow a few seconds and SLOWLY squeeze the shots off with my eyes still shut. I would do this for 20-30 shots, it really helped to relax before a shooting session and not let anxiety get the best of me.</div></div>

I was struggling with this as well...I agree with Muddy. My buddy recommended doing this....get 5 feet from the target and practice releasing the arrow with a 'surprise release.' Shoot 20-25 arrows every night and make sure you are using proper form. If you are 'punching' the trigger, the practice will not help.

I went to a hinge release where there was no manual release, it went off when you rotated it enough with your back tension...

wow...there's a lot to talk about with this subject...for which I'm very passionate about. Been through a lot with this and watched a lot of videos from "Straight from the pros." It has helped me a ton.

Send me a PM...would love to talk some more with you if you are interested.

Like stated above, shoot close.

IMO(and I am know nothing)the thing that causes target panic the most is lack of routine. Every time you pick your bow up it should be the same deal every single shot.(i think I remember wrting about this somewhere.....$?) But having and knowing you routine will allow you to have complete confidence in your shooting and to remain calm!

My target panic is different! I shake so bad when an animal approaches I can hardly breathe. Seriously, ask anyone who has hunting with me. Once I clip my release to my string my routine starts and a calm comes over me...

Best way, write it down and do as Muddy and Gladiator said, practice it a couple hundred times at 3 to 5 yards!

i still shoot 75 % of my practice shots at under 5 yards!

Thanks for the response guys.I did some research last night and did see alot about shooting blind to help control your shots. I thought I had lost my mind until I found this was a common problem.

Top Bottom