Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thank you IBA !!!!!!!

CamoMan

I just received an exciting email this afternoon, and I want to loudly and publicly thank the IBA for their extremely generous gift to Wildwood Hills Ranch near St. Charles, Iowa. We have been wanting to start an archery program in their summer camps, and the IBA just made that possible by donating 6 Mathews Genesis bows, arrows, armguards, targets and the backstop. I can’t begin to tell you how appreciative and excited I am about this.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Wildwood Hills Ranch is a beautiful 400 acre camp, and it hosts about 900 kids each summer for week-long camps. The majority of these kids would be considered ‘troubled’, or at-risk kids. Many of them come from environments and circumstances that would absolutely break your heart if you heard some of their stories. Most are sponsored by donations which makes it possible for them to attend camp.

By starting this archery program, we can add one more tool that will help us break through and reach some of these great kids. In addition to the summer program, we are planning to create an archery club for the LITs (Leaders in Training) and the CITs (Counselors in Training). These teens are past campers who have responded well, and can be taken to ‘the next level’. However, they still live in situations that are difficult at best, and they face daily challenges at home that fly in the face of what they know is right. Through this archery club, we will reach out to these kids on a personal level, with the intent of developing quality one-on-one mentoring relationships. I have a couple of great teammates in Ironwood and Elkhunter, and they share the same vision.

Eventually, we want to establish a program that will allow us to take some of these kids hunting for deer and turkey on the ranch. That is at least a year or more away from reality. Our first mission, in conjunction with the great staff and leadership at the ranch, is to get the archery programs established, build an awesome team of mentors, and develop some great kids by simply showing them that they have value. I have never been involved in a program that has the potential to be as powerful and impacting as this program promises to be. Thanks once again to the Iowa Bowhunters Association, and the kind-hearted people who made the decision to help out the ranch with this great gift. We had only raised part of the money for the equipment, and now, we are able to consider using that money to buy some other equipment for some of the older and bigger kids as we expand our program. Please do support the IBA, because they are definitely supporting a lot of good causes . . . in addition to our valued hunting rights.

That sounds like a GREAT CAMP for a GREAT CAUSE!!!
smile.gif
A big thanks to the IBA for there contribution. They are raffling off a 4-wheeler, parker bow,and a life-time IBA membership for only 10 bucks a chance for schools and causes like this . 2000 tickets total. Last I heard there were still around 900 tickets left a week ago. They are drawing the winners at the spring banquet, march 3rd sold out or not. So lets all do our part in helping the IBA sell out the tickets.
applause.gif
applause.gif
applause.gif

Thank you for sharing this news item with all of us. I'm sure that this kind of thing is covered in the IBA newsletter but although we proably all should be many of us aren't members and we need to know about all their good works. Congratulations on your program and to the IBA for stepping up for the future, our children!!!

Sounds like a great progam! It takes a lot of special people to get something like this done. Congrats and thanks to the IBA also.
waytogo.gif

Kevin - it sounds like a great program that needs good quality help and equipment, Randy was touched by it. I could tell when I talked to him on the phone on his way back home. Sounds like he is going to try and take it under his wing to do what it takes to help make it a successful program. And you can bet the IBA, MIA, and myself will be more than happy to help out with it!

Thank you, Camoman, Ironwood, and Elkhunter!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I've probably stepped over the line by identifying my 'teammates'. They are more comfortable staying in the background, and not getting a lot of attention on this (so help me out, and forget who they are
crazy.gif
). In some ways, I'm the same way, but I also like to show what can be done if people just decide to get involved. There are a lot of areas that hunters/shooters can use their talents and resources to help and encourage others. This cause is a great one, but it's just one of many. I know there are lots of good-hearted people on this site, and I want to encourage and even push some of you to make a difference. Face it - in a hundred years, we'll each be dead. But . . . if you make an impact now, the fruits of your time and efforts will not be dead. Maybe that sounds preachy, but that's my heart, and I love sharing it. Please get involved - there's a good cause waiting for you somewhere. The fun part is finding it.
smile.gif

Top Bottom