Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thanksgiving Hunt

Zim

Having been unsuccessful on my Nov. 2-10 hunt, I can possibly return to Iowa the long weekend after Thanksgiving for 4 days. It would be a 6 hour drive but why not? I'm sure not going to kill any P&Y here in Indiana. Have any of you guys had any success at this later time? Would it be best to hunt between bedding & feeding areas, or still try funnels between bedding areas?

I have had great luck in previous years hunting during the week of Thanksgiving. I would concentrate on the funnels near bedding areas as the doe fawns born early this year should be coming into cycle as well as any does that didn't take during the early part of November.

I have been hunting the past several days and have seen the following:

Nov. 16th 1 8 point buck
Nov. 17th 1 8 point, 1 4 point, chasing does
Nov. 18th 1 8 point, 1 10 point, 1 monster 12 point
Nov 21st 1 8 point, 1 basket buck, and one spike

Things have slowed down since the peak of the rut, but there is still enough action to keep me occupied and the secondary rut should kick in next week. Good luck!!!

Zim,

Thanksgiving hunt...absolutely! My journal shows several seasons when rutting activity was fantastic on a turkey day sit. I think it will be similar this year. Definetly worth the drive.

NWBuck

My Vote is Thanksgiving day is a go....I shot my buck last year on that day as he was out looking fo some does. He wasnt a booner but still a respectable 130 class 10 pointer.

Thanksgiving Schedule:
AM--Treestand session #1
--Put away some bird or best substitute/mashed potatoes/you get the idea
--Catch a few zzz's
PM--Treestand session #2
My vote is for bedding area funnels AM.
PM hunting on the trails to feeding areas.
Good Luck!!

Top Bottom