Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

That time of year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lxshooter

Alright ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, it's that time of year again so I'm wondering who is going to the Knoxville Nationals this weekend???

I went to the 360 nationals last weekend. I went to Thursdays qualifying and came back up for Saturdays Features. I think were going to go back up Saturday for the 410 feature also. We dropped quite a bit of money at Dingus then walked over and I put down the 4th fastest sprint car simulator time out of the 3 days they had it set up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I think the redbull\grey goose helped me go faster.

Knoxville sure is fun but if you wanna go to a big race go to the Boone Supernationals the first week of September. It's friggin awesome. Over 700 cars.350 Modifieds trying to make a 30 car A-main. Parties. Wet t-shirt contest. Just an all around good time. And the track is alot smaller than Knoxville so theres much more action.

From '78 to about '04 I think I missed one yr (first year out of college and no accrued vacation). Since that time I have let my photography credentials lapse and do not make it down there much anymore. 26 years is a long time following that sport and it was, quite frankly, not as much fun as it used to be. I just feel damn lucky to have seen the best of the best race at that track (Kinser, Wolfie, and Sammy) together and have many of my own photos of them to look back on (God I sound OLD).

Anyway, I made it last Thursday (360 qualifier) when my nephew was racing and am trying to bargaining again on the home front for Thursday 410 qualifier. I know a driver from Maryland racing on Thursday who is pretty good and enjoy watching him run and visiting after the races. I really prefer the qualifying nights versus Saturday but the final night has a lot of tension with $150,000 to the winner.

ANYBODY BUT SHATZ.

P.S. For those of you who have an interest in racing and never taken in sprints at K-ville, I recommend it. Simply the fastest thing on dirt with an AWESOME power to weight ratio. 1200 lbs cars with 800+ hp is an incredible combination.

I'd love to be down there but hell I cant south of Brainerd Internation Raceway. 2008 NHRA Lucas Oil Powerade Nationals. Traffic will started today. Unreal.

If I was going to go to a race I would much rather be down watching some dirt racing.

Dean

Dirts for Racing~Tar is for getting there

This will be our 6th year going and we make a day out of it. We grill, beer, play bags, beer, lawn golf, beer, Dingus's, then if the race hasnt started yet were have a few beers.

I look forward to this weekend all year long. If anyone is down there on Saturday let me know and come on over and have something off the grill and a drink.

My girlfriend wants to go back up there Saturday but im not positive if were going yet. Im trying to save some extra money for Boone. If i do go up, where are you camping at. North of the track?

If I go down this year it will be a last minute deal. To much going on this weekend and I think I will sit in the recliner and watch on Speed. I have only missed this week a handful of times from 1975 till now and spent times in the pits helping buddies on there cars and working for Challenger Racing when Sammy Swindle drove for them. The Dingus is pretty tame now compared to back in the days before the prudes in the city stopped all the fun. It is a week of fun, but I guess I am getting old and don't count down the days like a kid at christmas time anymore.

Yeah Fatboy,

I remember watching a wet t-shirt contest in the tent at Dingus one Sat. after the parade (probably about 80-82 ??). Needless to say, they passed the hat for "lap money" and awarded it to the contestant with the least amount of clothes on at the end. I think I was MAYBE 17 at the time. Also remember one contest west of the barns held on a flat bed. At least 300-400 people in attendance on a sunny afternoon. Lots of "lap money" collected that day also. Times have indeed changed.

Looks like I am headed down tonight to watch the "Jet", Jeff Shepard (who also enjoys bow hunting in his home state of Maryland). Gotta show Jeff a photo of the bowkill from last fall after the races.

Yep, they were more of the "what t-shirt" contest at the end. I think they stopped in the late 90's at the Dingus. Jeff has been around Knoxville a time or two,part off that William's Grove gang that come here every year the PA.Posse.

There will be one of these so called "what t-shirt" contests tomorrow (friday) at...I believe, 2:00 pm at Wackos restaurant on the east side of Knoxville! I think i'll make an appearance! I'm down here all week having a great time and watching some great races!

Really bad deal for Jeff Shepard last night. Talked to him briefly in the pits before the races last night and showed him a picture of the Beast before the drivers meeting. Jeff couldn't believe the photo and had to show it to the rest of the crew. Said he hadn't bow hunted in a couple years but was still gun hunting some back home.

I thought for just a moment last night that maybe we had lost him but the reports this morning are encouraging - does not sound like anything life threatening or permanently damaged. Between last night and the one bad one he took at Eldora Speedway in Ohio a number of years back he has flirted with the cliff a couple of times.

Get well soon buddy - I'm praying for ya.

I seen on Knoxville's site that he got tangled with several other cars at the begining of the B-main. Looks like he was the only one that had to take a ride to the hospital. Thoughts and Prayers sent his way.

Seen the wreck on channel 8 tonight...hell of a wreck. Luck more drivers weren't seriously injured.

Top Bottom