"The 6x5's" season. Pic & Video Heavy

jjohnson

Last year this buck was a 3yr old 5x5 that I knew would be a great buck if he made it another season or two. His left side G3 and G4 were very unique and I couldn't wait to see what he was in 2011.

Video from Sept. 2010.

On to 2011. My first pic of him was in Sept but he had changed a bit and turned into a perfect 6x5. I only had a handful of pics of him in velvet but he was all over the place come season. He spent a lot of time working the farm at night and turned into quite the Bully. When a shooter breaks a tine early I always joke and say man I just wish he'd break the rest off. Well in the "6x5s" case he pretty much did. Every couple weeks I'd pull cards and he'd loose a few more tines. I watched him from a tower blind lastnight and he's still at it. He was out picking on every buck around. I'm glad he's made it thru the season and hope to meet up with him again next year. He should be a giant if he can keep his rack together.

Here's the "6x5's" 2011 Season...

A video from Sept. 16th

Picture from Sept. 25th
IM000124-1.jpg

Video from Oct. 12th. Missing G2

Video from Nov. 9th. Broken Mainbeam

Video from Nov. 23rd. Going to fight my #1 hitlist buck. A 5.5yr old 168" 8pt. A stud buck that was unfortunetly harvested during the 1st shotgun season.:(

Still hanging around.
IM000030-2.jpg

IM000107.jpg

Still fighting.
IM000131-1.jpg

Oops I lost another one.
IM000151.jpg

Cool buck! Get after that boy next year! do you by chance have a pic of that monster 8?

After 1st season shotgun I called a friend of mine to see how their group did. He sent me a few pics of their bucks and I never thought anything of it until I noticed the big 8 with the crazy G3. I called him back immediately and found out they shotgun hunt one of the properties I bowhunt. He felt pretty bad but I was glad I knew he was dead because I planned on hunting him hard late muzzleloader. He's a good dude that will definitely appreciate him as much as I would have. I asked him how the drag was and he said I pulled him 5ft and went and got the truck. This buck had a stud of a body. Pretty sweet buck. 26" beams, 13" g2, great mass, and 3-4 kickers around the base.

This first video is on a mock scrape I made in late Oct. My stand is in the background of the video 25yds away. He hit this scrape once and we were there the next day. Go figure. haha

IM000216.jpg

IM000008-1.jpg

Last edited:
Not going to be the easiest shed to find if he keeps that up.

I'm hoping to find a few of the pieces.:D Actually tempted to look around where the camera was for those last few pics. Maybe he lost his G3 in that fight in front of the camera.

If you can find all of the pieces to make that matched set...Id say you might be the best shed hunter the world has ever seen. Talk about a brawler!!!!

Good looking buck JJ. Can't wait to see what he looks like as a 5 year old. I'm sure we'll see harvest pics by October 4th :D

that 8 is a stud as well! I would be interested to see how it would be officially scored though. Almost thinking main frame 7?? that "G3" on its left looks to be coming off the base of the G2. Sorry, not trying to start an argument on it, just commenting.

Better shoot that guy early...what a fighter. Sure would like to have an 8 like that walk by my stand. Holy cow.

that 8 is a stud as well! I would be interested to see how it would be officially scored though. Almost thinking main frame 7?? that "G3" on its left looks to be coming off the base of the G2. Sorry, not trying to start an argument on it, just commenting.

I agree and I'm not sure how he measured him. Would've been a big mass measurement between that 2 and 3.

I've never scored a 6 or 7 pt before. How many mass measurements would a 6pt have?

I agree and I'm not sure how he measured him. Would've been a big mass measurement between that 2 and 3.

I've never scored a 6 or 7 pt before. How many mass measurements would a 6pt have?

Still has 4 mass measurements. Whether you are measuring a spike or a 14 point, you get 4 mass measurements on each side.

If your luck is like mine, you'll find that 2" stub, but won't be able to find the 70 incher you really want to find. It happened to me a couple years ago on a buck just like this. I could hardly believe it when I spotted that base laying at the edge of the timber, but had another buck I really wanted to find both sides of, but only found one although it would have seemed it would be much easier to find a large antler!

Still has 4 mass measurements. Whether you are measuring a spike or a 14 point, you get 4 mass measurements on each side.

So instead of measuring from the g3 to tip and going half way like an 8pt. Do you measure from g2 to tip and go 1/3 and 2/3?

Yes, from the center of the G2 to the point go 1/3 and 2/3. On a 8pt center of G3 to point go 1/2 way mark.

Back