Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Beginning Years, 1993, Old pics, 1st deer and article

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ha, I was visiting and folks gave me box with all my pictures from childhood as we were looking at my 2 kids now and showing my wife some funny, neat or embarrassing pics of the past. Had my hunting section in there. Pretty funny as I hadn't seen these in 20+ years.

This was my 1st buck. I was 14 I think. The next year I got a buck and doe, here's the doe. Here's article from my high school newspaper - journalism class had me pumping out one article a month on "any topic" relevant to students. That month's article, that happened to be about hunting, 20-ish years ago, was quite the masterpiece ;)
I was a SLACKER in school "what do I need to do to get out of here"- didn't find much value in school.... I just "picked something" I could write about each month in Journalism class and in the "school days" - I kinda did the minimum to get by so I could get out, work, hunt and have fun. (don't recommend screwing off like I did ! :D). Still funny though & thankfully worked out ok where I'm not living under a bridge now or something.

I was a city boy that somehow got into hunting. Always obsessed with outdoors since I could walk. Never got the call from the Major Whitetail Hunting Magazines trying to recruit me after this gem below?!?!? Good times, good memories. So many more beyond that. Horrible hunting when and where I grew up but man did we have a blast when we started even then where most the time you never even saw a deer period. Fun times and memories and great to see them after 20 years even though they are imprinted in my head forever...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
That's awesome Skip! The classic riding pose is nice. Well written article. But don't worry, the big names in hunting journalism are bound to call any day. In all seriousness, pretty cool to have those photos and memories.

That's pretty funny man. I like the kid who hit three does but waited till the next day to track them, only to find none of them...lol Sheesh....

....haha....gotta love the "comments".... I swear....only in MI.

"hit three does..... I never found one"
"I missed a nursing spotted fawn"

That's awesome Skip! The classic riding pose is nice. Well written article. But don't worry, the big names in hunting journalism are bound to call any day. In all seriousness, pretty cool to have those photos and memories.

No kidding, reading that...I have no idea how you didn't end up at the New York Times winning Pulitzers every year! :D Good stuff...it sounds like your high school gang was about as sophisticated as the one I ran around back in the day. :D

lmao, I was literally laughing out loud and the reports from the other hunters. Thats hilarious, reminds me of school

"I never found one" could mean he found two and one he never did find. Quotes are difficult in that the meaning may be lost by inflection.

Nice blast from the past.

Top Bottom