Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The best night of bow hunting!

J

jason

I just wanted to share with all of you the best night of bow hunting I've ever had.
I climbed up in my stand about 2:40, but I wasn't until about 5:15 the deer started moving. I passed up a small eight pointer that walked 15 yards infront of me in a bean field. I noticed about 300 yards away in the field, a doe was walking from one draw to another. And not far behind her was a nice buck. The doe went into the draw, but the buck stayed out on the edge making a scrape. He was there for about 5 minutes scraping away, and wouldnt turn his head to my doe bleat.
The buck made his way in the draw, and as I sat there, another doe came out into the field about 300 yards away. IT was about 10 minutes later the buck comes back out and works his scrape again.
I pick up my rattleing antlers, and lightly spare with them. The buck turns his attention towards me. I grew louder and more agressive. I could see the buck getting anxious. I looked to my left, and I see another decent buck top over a small hill in the field about 80 yards away.
The buck that was farther out came charging stairt towards me. I quickly but down the antlers, and grabbed my bow. But the buck that was 80 yards away, turned towards the other buck, and on a sprint headed right, the two buck collided with each other. They took there fight over the hill were I couldn't see. But man could I hear them. It sounded like two people wrestling in the timber. The fight only lasted for about a minute. The winner( the buck from 300 hundred yards) went back to his doe out in the bean field. There were out there for about 5 minutes, when I pick up the antlers again. I started wailing away again. I was going so hard I chipped on antler. The buck turned and faced me, and again he came running in. When he got about 150 yards away, i dropped the antlers, and grabbed my bow. But it seemed he didn't care to come in anymore since I stopped rattleing. So the buck took a left about 80 yards infront of my tree stand, and walked away.
Shortly after, it was about dark now. I see another deer walk out into the field about 300 yards away. And not to far behind that deer, came this hudge bodied deer!! My guess it was another buck, I couldn't see because it was getting to dark.
This hunt was like a hunt you only see on tv. It would of been nice if i could of pulled back on one, but it was still a wild ride!

Good hunting, Jason

Sounds like a great hunt! I went last night and didn't see a thing, so you never know. I suspect some pheasant hunters had tromped through a few hours earlier. Good luck on catching up with one of those bucks later!

No question, its nights like that which create such a passion for hunting. I had one night like that about five years ago. After a few small bucks had came through within range. A 130 class 10 pt. appears about 100 yards in the swamp, walking parallel to me along a ditch. I try to get his attention with a soft grunt, but he continues. After a few more increasingly louder grunts with no response, I just whaled on the grunter. He didn't even flinch, but immediately a 6 point that was bedded in the marsh about 50 yards out stood up on full alert. The two smaller bucks that had passed through came back to see what was going on. That six pointer saw them and came flying in and kicked their butts right in front of me. That six pointer was still hopping mad and he tore up some tag alders somethign fierce for a few minutes. That commotion brought in a doe. He caught sight of her and within seconds all I saw were two tails bounding off through the marsh hay. I saw that ten point one other time at forty yards, almost in the same spot, and my brother got him during the gun season. It was his first "shooter" buck.

Top Bottom