Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The "Can Opener" Buck makes his final mistake! (film link included)

lefler168

Well, Its been about 2 weeks now since I managed to fill my tag and I have put off getting this story posted for too long! Luckily, I was fortunate enought to capture this hunt on film, and listed below are a couple of links to the video! This was my first year doing my own editing and would appreciate any feedback if you get a chance to watch it. here are the links:

http://chrisandblake.bowhuntingroad.com/2011/11/12/the-decision/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx6G3TmqVys

For those of you who maybe can't view the video, or would rather read the story, continue following along!

The rut this year proved to be one of the best I have seen in years! On November 6, 2011, just one day after filming Chris Dunkin knocking down our number 1 hit list buck "Full House," I climbed into the driver's seat and decided that I would focus on hunting a buck that we named "Jackhammer."

picture.php

"Jackhammer" working a scrape

On Day 1 of my hunt, I took to a stand that we had nicknamed the "jackhammer stand" simply due to the fact that "Jackhammer" was shot from the same tree during the 2010 season, and as many of you know, he healed from the wound growing into a phenomenal buck. Prior to beginning our hunt for “Jackhammer” our trail cameras had produced several daytime photos of him working a scrape near our stand. Although my goal was to harvest "Jackhammer" I knew that if an old, mature buck gave me the right opportunity, there was no passing it up. My reasoning for this was simple; "Jackhammer" is a great buck, but could easily turn into a 190 inch deer if he makes it one more season.
With Geoff Everly behind the camera for Day 1 of the hunt, we arrived at the stand early. The conditions were less than perfect, warm and windy, but it was still November 6th and we were on the brink of peak rut. The morning proved to be productive as I had an encounter with a buck we would later name the “Can Opener” buck as the splits on both his G2's looked like can opener's. The “Can Opener” buck appeared to be on the trail of a hot doe, as he carefully traveled past our stand staying just out of shooting range, but allowing us to get a good look at him. After seeing him the thought of Harvesting "Jackhammer" crossed my mind. I immediately concluded that tagging “Jackhammer” this year would make a great story, but not taking an opportunity at a more mature buck like the “Can Opener” would be foolish.
picture.php

The "Can Opener" buck

After the morning hunt, Geoff and I relocated the Jackhammer stand in the same area, but in a tree that we felt would provide a better opportunity at harvesting a mature buck based on some of the historical information that we had collected from a number of hunts spent in the area. To say the least, the new tree we picked out is one of those stands that gives you goose bumps just thinking about hunting it; it was set up perfectly! Due to a change in wind direction, Geoff and I took our hunt to a different part of the farm for the evening, but with warm windy conditions, movement was slow.
The next morning, November 7th, the wind and weather conditions made for perfect rut action, and gave Chris and I the opportunity to hunt the newly adjusted “jackhammer stand.” Despite nearly perfect conditions, 32 degrees and calm winds, the beginning hours of our hunt were slow. Knowing that we were set up perfectly on the outskirts of a heavy bedding area, Chris kept me motivated to continue putting our time in, as we have learned from past experience that a hunt during the rut can change in a matter of seconds.
While patiently waiting for the first buck to cruise in or out of the bedding area, I caught a glimpse of a coyote that appeared to be closing in on our stand location quickly. After not having much action, I was quick to decide I was going to make quick work of the coyote that had already closed the distance to about 20 yards, clueless to our presence. As the coyote stepped into my shooting lane, I drove home an arrow dropping the predator in its tracks!
Shortly after the coyote had expired, I decided that having a dead coyote lying 20 yards from the stand might draw unnecessary suspicion by deer that could possibly be moving through the area. Just as I was getting ready to climb out of the stand to move the coyote out of sight, Chris said the words that I love to hear from him in November, “big buck! Big buck coming out of the bedding area!“ I quickly pulled my facemask up, knocked another arrow, and prepared for a shot. As the buck exited the brushy bedding area, I immediately knew that it was the “Can Opener” buck, the same buck that I had watched scent trailing a doe the morning prior.
Without much time to think, I quickly concluded that the buck had lots of character and was definitely mature; if given the opportunity, I was not going to hesitate to make a shot on this buck.
After scoping out the area, the buck quickly jumped the fence and was heading right for our tree; he was on a mission of some sort and paid no attention to the dead coyote lying just yards away from him! As the buck passed directly under our stand, I drew my bow and settled in for a steep angle, quartering away shot. As I settled, the buck looked straight up our tree, all but catching us in the act; unlucky for him, it was far too late as I released an arrow that connected perfectly!
The “Can Opener” buck had made his last mistake, and within the blink of an eye, our slow morning hunt turned into success! Our strategy of adjusting the stand had worked out as planned, and somewhere at the end of a short blood trail was another mature buck to add to the trophy room!
After recovering the buck, we realized that we did have a few trail-cam photographs of him from that week. We also checked with the neighboring land manager who was kind enough to provide us with several more photos of the “Can Opener” buck prior to our putting a tag on him!
The 2011 bow season proved yet again to be a very successful one! However, the most memorable part of the season was spending time in the woods with some of my best friends. Success on top of that, is just icing on the cake! Good luck to those who are still putting their time in!
picture.php

Top quality video. You guys are doing an extremely good job with production in my opinion.

Cool buck as well.

Thanks for the entertainment

Great Buck Blake! Also one hell of a job on the video. You guys are doing a great job getting bone on the ground. Get ahold of me sometime. We could do some shooting or shed hunting together this spring.

Top Bottom