Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Ghost - moved from PMA

OneCam

Ghost Buck

It all started last spring when I received a notification that I had drawn a coveted buck tag in a special antlerless area. Since that day I have been scheming of how I might make good on this great opportunity. I figured I might stumble upon a lovesick buck in mid November - never did I think I would get an opportunity during the October lull.

Oct 11, 2003
Morning Hunt
SE Wind

I was setup in a classic morning stand between an oak flat and a bedding area. At first light I had a doe and fawn pass the stand but on this morning I decided that I wasn't doe hunting. I had seen a "shooter" buck in the area a week prior but little did I know my setup would payoff. I just happen to glance over to my shoulder and that's when I noticed him - like a Ghost he just appeared - standing at 40 yards directly downwind.

I just knew he was going to spook at any minute but his demeanor didn't indicate he suspected my presence. As you can probably imagine I had already decided this was a "shooter" but because he was downwind my excitement was compounded and I was getting classic "buckfever" The buck stood his ground for 4-5 minutes - during this time I was able to range multiple points as well as calm my nerves by telling myself I probably wouldn't get a shot.

When the buck started coming my way I couldn't believe it - he was now at 35 yards but was strongly quartering toward me at. With the wind still blowing directly to the buck, I focused on making the first shot that presented itself. At 30 yards the buck turned at a slight quartering toward. I quickly took aim and settled my pin - at the shot the buck bolted. As I watched him go I knew he wouldn't go far as the fletching clearly indicated I made the shot. "Wow" - that was my though. After 10 minutes I couldn't take it anymore I had to get down but I elected to go home for a few hours instead of taking up the trail. After a few hours and recruiting some help we made it back to the spot. The blood trail picked right up at the spot of impact but petered out after 35 yards. From there we only had specs of blood to go by but after a couple of circles we found the buck within 120 yards of the shot. As you might expect we had a lengthy celebration.

Luck was definitely on my side on this morning - it's rare to find a buck of this caliber out during daylight hours at this time of the year. I feel very fortunate and very, very lucky.

I hate to sound like a commercial but I really don't think I would have harvested this buck without using "The Ghost" scent killer. Also the arrow wraps really helped to determine an almost exact location of hit.

The rack has an unofficial Green gross typical score of 182" with 26" main beams, a 22" spread and nice tine length. An additional 4 non typical points that total 12 7/8" bring the buck up to 194 7/8" total. The rack has approximately 8" of typical deductions giving us an approximate Green Net NT score of 186", which is my biggest to date.

I have a habit of naming my bucks and since Lucky was already taken I think "The Ghost" rightfully fits this great buck!

15734493-PZ44_1_.jpg

33680-bigone.jpg

He is absolutly beautiful OneCam. Haven't seen the second picture. Awesome!
waytogo.gif

That buck has it all. Body size, spread, tine length, forked brows and mass. They don't get much better than that one.
peace.gif

Brent

Onecam,
You are very deserving.Hope I get a chance to see one that big within bow range let-alone shoot one.
CONGRAT"S
YOU THE MAN

beerchug.gif

Top Bottom