Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Good Ole Days

I only have one older camera and put it out a couple week’s before gun season. Only reason I do is because I have it and it was free. Still like the idea of hurting each time knowing a big one can appear anytime. I only hunt one corner of the farm but always see deer. I do know when a big buck is taken, people want to scope the area out and if it’s public, place will be overrun! Sorta like when the crappie start biting and word gets out, it can get crowded pretty quickly.

This thread will start a debate that several of us have already had time and again but I have been thinking about this for awhile…. I started following the site somewhere in the late 2000s and didn’t become a registered user until 2014. In the early days here I would come to see what others were seeing for deer movement and to look at both trail cam footage and harvest photos. In 2011 I was fortunate to shoot a deer of 100 lifetimes (IMO) and in that year there were three deer posted on this site that were equivalent or bigger posted. Now we rarely see a field photo on here of a deer over 200 in any given year let alone three in one year. Most of the pics from back then were friend of a friend killed this, etc. but still not near as many BIG GIANTS posted like back in the hay day prior to 2012 EHD. My thoughts as I have stated before is generally speaking I think the numbers of mega giants has gone down in the woods. Thoughts?

Agree. IMO, several future monarchs are wacked with a rifle or by a tv or social media people at 160". Iowa is not what it once was but I suppose we could say that about most things. The folks with a true love for the process are in a minority and it feels more like a competition for bro-attention. I try to promote and talk up the IBO but I am surprised at how many "bro-hunters" are opposed to the IBO's overall mission. Certainly a different feel.

All of that said, very impressed with Chris Dunkin and the young hunters who are stepping up with the ISC. Very encouraged by what they are doing. There is hope...

Last edited:
Sure, dead is dead, but it's not the dead ones I'm trying to protect by not posting pics. It's the future ones that I may lose access to, due to me posting pics.
I dont have FB, or anything so not sure, but do you post the location where u got them also?? I don't generally tell people the farm I hunted it on, especially if it were a hunting permission type of farm.. ie: " I got at the Smith farm down the road, it's loaded with deer, ect.." then I could see problems.. but to post a pic of a deer, nobody knows if u shot it in the same county, state, ect..

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I know of 3 shot this year so far that are over 200"- 2 havent seen the light of social media at all and wont. 1 has, but the dude has killed multiple 170+ over the last few years (literally at least 1 each year) and even had one confiscated, so not really sure what to think about that exactly...

Top Bottom