Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Gov and Drury's together ??

BJohnson

Just checked the Drury Journal and saw that our good Gov. Terry was hosted by Drury's recently. From my reading of the journal, it appears that he asked to come down for a deer hunt, Mark and Terry obviously made it happen and the Gov. was successful in a single one day hunt !!

I doubt this will help us all convince Gov. Branstad that our deer herd is on the decline !!

http://www.druryoutdoors.com/journal.php

OH yes great hunting down there, tons of deer,,I'm sure he is saying. On my property it would have taken a bit longer than one day...

I wonder if the Drury's even know what he veto'd last year......

I wish there was a place to comment on the story.

I doubt this will help us all convince Gov. Branstad that our deer herd is on the decline !!
:way:
Nice to see the Gov out hunting, and promoting deer hunting. But this is not, in any way, good to try to get antlerless season's and tags dropped.

governor

Lol, yeah he probably thought to himself, man there are deer all over down here in southern Iowa!

Which one should I shoot?

Interesting. When I lived in MN the governor would make a big deal about going out on opening day of the deer season and the fishing seasons.

The Drury's should have taken him hunting on one condition. Maybe a little schooling is in order on the condition of the states deer herds.

But then again, i'm sure the Drury's don't know what it's like to have the deer population dropping down around their land.

I'm sure the camera did not capture the lobbying they did for NRLO tags or at least to make sure the Gov tags kept rolling their way.

The reason they don't have the deer population dropping on their lands is that they hunt and manage it effectively.
I guess I don't completey understand why some people criticize land owners who manage the deer herds on their lands. Yes, they showed the gov what is possible.
Maybe the hunters who shoot everything in sight should get a little schooling from the Drurys in order to see what a properly managed farm can become. Or maybe folks should try and improve the habitat where they hunt in order to attract more deer. And I understand this can't be done on public, but public areas will never be a 'mecca' for deer hunting anyhow.

OK. I've had dinner since my last post. I sounded like a "hater" ( which at time I am) I'm not particularly a fan of the Drurys, I just don't care for their show or some of the things our governor has done as far as the DNR is concerned. But I was not there and don't know what they discussed. Maybe the Drurys explained to them why their farm is the way it is and what the real world is like.

Wonder if he shot any does? He thinks they need to be slayed and wonder why he shot a buck with the population reductions we need according to him? Whatever you think of them, there's a reason they had him out.... Keep governor tags rolling, keep in good graces, etc. Buddy system in politics at full steam here & motives we all understand. Yes, their land is amazing, no question- agree others should do similar things in regards to management. They have a unique world with more acreage put together than you can imagine (them & buddies). Good for them with their great land but some things here with this really bother me.

I think the Drury's mentioned on their site that the Governor contacted them for a hunt.

Guys, I don't have any knowledge of what was discussed either, BUT, it is also possible that the Drury's were able to provide some positive information and perspective on the Iowa deer herd. Let's not assume the worst and get critical without knowing for sure. I can sure think of many worse people for him to hunt with than the Drury's.

On the bright side...I would rather have our governor take an interest in hunting and get some perspective from actual hunters than just getting the Farm Bureau's take on things.

Seriously, take this opening and write a decent letter to the governor congratulating him on his buck and thanking him for taking an interest in Iowa deer/hunting and then share your thoughts on the good, bad and the ugly. Who knows, the whole thing could have been no more than a cheap PR stunt, but let's not just allow ourselves to just be gripers, potentially uninformed gripers.

Guys, I don't have any knowledge of what was discussed either, BUT, it is also possible that the Drury's were able to provide some positive information and perspective on the Iowa deer herd. Let's not assume the worst and get critical without knowing for sure. I can sure think of many worse people for him to hunt with than the Drury's.

On the bright side...I would rather have our governor take an interest in hunting and get some perspective from actual hunters than just getting the Farm Bureau's take on things.

Seriously, take this opening and write a decent letter to the governor congratulating him on his buck and thanking him for taking an interest in Iowa deer/hunting and then share your thoughts on the good, bad and the ugly. Who knows, the whole thing could have been no more than a cheap PR stunt, but let's not just allow ourselves to just be gripers, potentially uninformed gripers.

Good point and approach Daver. It is good to see he took an interest in acutally going out and hunting. I'm really hoping the Drury's talked to him a bit about the state as a whole and not just their property. Now would be a great time to write him a letter.
It just seems a little ridiculous that he ignores the DNR and doesn't cut the tags and Nov. antlerless season then he goes down to southern Iowa and asks to go hunting on the Drury's farm. I'd say it is a very safe bet that they may have just a few more deer on their farms than your average piece of private ground or public. He should try going out on some public or have a buddy go knock on some doors(without showing Branstad) and try and get permission.

I personally wish he would have hunted an average farm in northern Iowa for example. I think there may be some well deserved frustration towards the Governor from folks who had a horrible season in many areas of the state. At a minimum, I understand the frustrations. I do see some irony from what went down with him ignoring the DNR on the many locations in the state that were devastated but he was the "expert" on deer & ignored DNR. Then he goes to one of the best areas in the state with most deer and best managed, incredibly rare/top notch farms (which I don't be-grudge anyone for having a farm like that or managing like that, awesome!). At a minimum, there's some interesting thought and irony there with his recent history, his recent hunt, average hunters in the state having massive problems with lack of deer, etc - I understand some level of frustration from folks.

*Bottom line for me, personally, I sure hope the next go around he listens to the DNR as opposed to FB and I hope this exposure is positive in our wishes for deer management & dnr wishes. Hope he doesn't think top 2/3rd's of state are like down there. I do feel bad for folks who are really hurting for deer in top 2/3rd's of state. i hope the late season goes away, I hope he listens to dnr and I hope our direction is a positive one. "Hope & Change" ha ha

Last edited:
I enjoy the Wildlife Obsession show & as some have pointed out in previous posts I feel it is a positive for our Governor to be a deer hunter or hunter period!

I sure dont like to see all of the haters. Seems to be alot of jealousy and negativity. Lets save that for the "other" sites. :)

Didn't the Drury's have a "round table discussion" with the DNR in regards to the deer population? I don't feel like they are backing Terry's (Brandstad) play on vetoing that, but I feel like it would be for everyone's benefit to have our govenor being pro hunting.

Top Bottom