Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Missing Buck

Scooter1

Is been awhile since I could sit down for awhile and go thru all of the the things everyone has been doing. My life recently has been a zoo due to the wife working late when Im not, wrestling practice, and preparing for winter, not to mention travelling for the last 4 weekends to hunt. Its really good to see everyones trials and tribulations so far!
This year is my fifth year deer hunting and only my third with archery equipment. I have to say with every ounce of my being that I truly regret not getting involved sooner in life.
As my wife is 8+ mos pregnant, I had a time budget this season to fill my tags. Somehow Ive managed to fill all of them as of this week! I took a couple nice does and a management buck and I couldnt be happier!

Saturday early am hunt: COLD! Thermometer in jeep said 17 as I pulled into field drive. I had just washed my entire camo setup the night before and once settled into a tree on a pinch point and breathing the crisp cold air for a minute, I realized my right glove no longer allowed my thumb to find a home. I HATE THAT! I fiddled with it for about 5 minutes with no luck and the sun was just beginning to cast light on the grassy area to my left. After a few more minutes of cussing my glove I notice something to my left. A buck. Where the hell he came from I have no clue, but there he was, looking up at me and my stupid 4 fingered glove from 20 yds. Needless to say, he wasted little time finding somewhere else to do deer stuff.

Saturday PM hunt: The day had warmed nicely and it was DRY in the timbers of Winnesheik county. After perching myself in the corner of a little hay field, I was on high alert all evening. The slightest creature in the leaves made noise. A squirrel sounded like a thundering herd of buffalo! Around 6 I noticed movement along the edge of the timber and it turned out to be a browless 6 pointer making his way toward me. Not one minute later another buck entered the hay field and skirted the edge of it directly down wind from me about 50 yds away. All I could do was hope the browless buck got to the hayfield before the one downwind from me blew up and they both scattered. To my pleasant suprise, the buck behind me got to within 30 yds and never got nervous. The browless buck entered the field and the 2 deer spotted each other and paused, giving me a perfect broadside 15 yd shot that I thought I nailed. He bleated and jumped up and spun around as if he was trying to face his assailant. After a moment, he wiggled his tail and simply walked back into the timber and disappeared. I thought OKAY! YOU CAN FALL OVER NOW! He never did. After It got dark, I climbed down, grabbed the arrow and left, thinking I made a bad shot and Ill find him in the morning.

Sunday AM recovery: Upon waking up and putting in my contacts, I noticed water on the sliding window in the basement of my grandparents home. OH NO! IT RAINED! My 6 year old said "What dad?" After I explained to him that meant theres no more blood trail, we made some breakfast and waited for the rain to stop. When we followed the trail into the timber that the deer took, only a few drops of blood were left. I dragged that poor kid around the soggy woods for 3.5 hours and were within 40 yards of returning to the jeep when he spotted horns in the thorns. Isaac decided to call him The Missing Buck, even though he was only 100 yds from where we parked the jeep.
Im terribly sorry about the long winded-ness, but some of my family wanted the whole story:eek:. Thanks for reading.
Heres my boy re-enacting the discovery in a 2 minute vid

2011buck12.jpg

Hes a good management deer with missing brows, and still has a pretty big body. With my time constraint considered, Im tickled with him!

One more pic in case Uncle Ted is watching...

2011buck11.jpg

Thanks and good hunting to everyone!

Sweet. Glad you guys found him. Makes it 10x sweetier when you have the little ones involved. Congrats to Isaac and you.

Great job Scott and Isaac i guess I can barrow Isaac now for my tracking tribulations that is if I ever get a shot at something!

Top Bottom