Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

THE PLAN TO KEEP IOWA GREAT- CALL TO ACTION!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
THE PLAN & MACHINE TO KEEP IOWA GREAT: OFFENSE & DEFENSE – IS HERE! *PLEASE SHARE THIS & PLEASE ACT!!! (You all know I'm a bit long winded & I can sit here & edit this all day BUT... felt it’s better to get it up with a few blemishes, raw & real!)...

ALL OF BELOW HAS BEEN DERIVED FROM WELL OVER A DOZEN MEETINGS WITH LEADERS OF: Multiple Legislatures on our side in House & Senate. Several Lobbying Groups. Several Organizations that are or will be lobbying that MUST grow Strategically to defend & bring offense to hunters. BELOW IS THEIR DIRECTION, ADVICE & SUMMARY OF INPUT PUT INTO ACTION! *****REMEMBER FOLKS- no two people are going to agree on 100% of the issues. Even below… we hope guys agree on 80% of them for example! Nothing is perfect or set in stone.

1) IBA - IOWA BOWHUNTERS ASSOCIATION.... Raise $8,000 each year for 3 years (or longer, timeframe to start with or a reasonable commitment to reach) so they can “Increase lobbying efforts". This results in more time with offense with the legislators.... Fighting off the bad bills before they come. Time to coordinate with other lobbying groups on combining efforts with regards to Defense AND offense. More time & presence at Sub-Committee meetings where the bills can get killed earlier. Offense on pushing through the bills that are beneficial. WE’LL MAKE THIS VERY SIMPLE: We need to budget for current rates for Lobbying at a larger scale, period. We need to get Current & bring a bigger fight... THE COST, I COMMITTED TO RAISING $8,000 more for next 3 years. This can be done a multiple of ways... & it MUST HAPPEN!!!!!!....... For example.... 16 guys say "I'll agree to send in $500 for next 3 years". Or clearly 8 guys for a grand. Or 800 guys at $10! You get the point. OR.... Auction items to get to IBA to raise funds. Whatever we come up short.... I will write a check for the difference. I also have ideas like "Skip, will you do a farm consult" & 99.9% of the time I don't have time... I'd donate a consult to auction off, etc.
We are also doing things to Update IBA to 2023 look, feel & perception: I'm working on finding some folks to help with social media, updating website & making IBA current (any creative minds + a bit of ambition to contribute a bit of time appreciated- Chad is assisting with some website advancements). We currently need 4 more guys at $1,000. OR- 8 more guys at $500. Or 40 more guys at $100. (Can send me PM or check in with IBA on progress here. Getting a little extra funding is NOT A BAD THING EITHER!). Guys who committed, see details here & THANK YOU & here’s where anyone can send!!!!! SEND CHECK TO: Iowa Bowhunters Association, ADDRESS: IBA, Attn: Corey Thorson, Treasurer, 1648 Cordova Ave, Pella, IA 50219.
**Please put a note in there that this is going to funding our Lobbying Efforts at the Capital!
**PLEASE, anyone & everyone, make sure to join IBA!!! Year or a lifetime membership!:

2) We’re working on getting several archery manufacturers &/or Archery shops that have to hire a part time lobbyist to counter-act Ravin Crossbows growing efforts. Ravin is coming in harder this year. More $ & their words to some of our Legislators "We smell blood in the water & Iowa is for sale and we will make the purchase". The data for IA Hunters: We don't want Xbows in general Archery season. We want them kept for Disabled, injured, seniors & in late season where they belong. Archery access is tight & getting tighter AS IT IS. Crossbows might enrich the crossbow companies, but the cost is: access & the quality of our herd. For something the hunters are not asking for & what Ravin wants to buy. This also will kill the archery shops that want bow upgrades & accessory upgrades they get frequently with bows but do NOT get with crossbows - so like Ravin, their business interests are in mind. The Cost is $10k per year for part time lobbyist. This is one more front & huge blockade to Ravin. The Archery Manufacturers &/or Archery Shops will fund this and I will connect the right players here.... THIS WILL GET DONE. NO ACTION NEEDED FROM MEMBERS HERE (unless relationships with Manufacturers or Archery shops that would be involved.... We are moving along there).

3) NEW ORGANIZATION: IOWA SPORTSMANS CLUB. LINK TO THEM BELOW. THIS WILL FUND A FULL TIME LOBBYIST FOR OFFENSE & DEFENSE- PLEASE SEND FUNDS IN!!!!... This is what legislators on both sides requested. We need another branch & group to counter all the lunatic special interests out there. This does that. & the Special interests are coming this year!! THIS will be one of the biggest roadblocks against them!!! In short, IBA cannot handle all of this alone. They will partner where needed & use political capitol where needed. ISC is being funded now, JOIN, DONATE, ETC. They have built an amazing plan & organization for exactly all the threats Iowa Sportsmen face..... They have new resources for funding, they will bring a lot of new people & influences into the game. They will fight for all we believe in. Huge presence at the deer classic & it will be a huge presence at the capital. LOBBYIST HAS BEEN HIRED THAT'S A PERFECT PARTNER!!!!!! This is a game changer & we need some funds to bridge gap until the banquet at the Deer Classic… ACTION: THEY NEED TO RAISE IMMEDIATE FUNDS TO GET LOBBYIST GOING… Any amount is absolutely appreciated & will IMMEDIATELY go to work & MUST be apart of this plan. HERE'S WHERE TO SEND FUNDS & PLEASE DO!!! CRITICAL!!!....

VENMO: https://account.venmo.com/u/ISC2023

PAYPAL: https://www.paypal.com/donate/?hosted_button_id=3QJCNFV7G7ZXL

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/people/Iowa-Sportsmans-Club/61550648880846/?mibextid=LQQJ4d

Their website: https://cbo.io/bidapp/index.php?slug=dsciowa2024#

4) MY ROLE: I need to stay "INDEPENDANT". I'm just this "Hunter & farmer that cares" "JOE SCHMO CITIZEN". I will lobby at no cost. When it's needed &/or requested. I'll donate with $ & time with the only benefit is to: OTHERS (other hunters, future generations, the land, folks without deep pockets, etc). I’ll fill any gaps in this whole plan. I'll connect all alliances up when I am able. I have no hidden motivations, $ to be made (this will cost me $) or anything to gain other than helping others- period.

We also have about 5-6 folks & need a few more folks who will be going to committee meetings on certain bills..... Very simply: folks who can have rationale conversations, common sense, respectful & can state issues impacting hunters effectively.... Very simple but well spoken intelligent folks who can better our position & show up for a couple quick meetings when needed. Common sense folks who understand the issues & literally can speak for 30-60 seconds to a core group of folks is all that's needed- it's not a big spectacle or overwhelming what-so-ever. Few more, we rocking – this is a commitment of maybe a couple hours per year.
*I'll continue on: HERE, Social Media, Podcasts (just did one last week that will come out next week!!!!)…. things to bring awareness, call to action & add soldiers to our army.

5) At some point in near future.... Above organizations will fund a PAC.... It's the game everyone plays... Our opposition utilizes it. $10-20k a year..... It will get funded at a time, TBD & nothing needed from anyone now .... Just be aware, we have to play in this arena and fight fire with fire & this is part of the battle. & BTW- if we added EVERYTHING you could ever dream up for above: 3 lobbying group, PAC, Voter voice emailing system for all organizations, etc - THE WHOLE SYSTEM & STATE.... less than $100k per year. In big picture, that's nothing & that's EVERYONE & EVERYTHING you could imagine.

6) FIXING OTHER STATES!!!!! STATES THAT ARE BROKEN!!!!!.... MO, MI, MN, NE, WI, etc etc. The more they fail, the more their armies will flee to Iowa & Kansas, etc. The more they are fixed - the better their hunters & resource will be for EVERYONE there & the pressure will be relieved for Iowa, Kansas, etc. There's a lot cooking right now there, action taking place. The first steps of a big process have been taken....

***TO SUMMARIZE ABOVE..... 1) We CURRENTLY need $4k more a year for the IBA (& others that committed can send in funds above) 2) Any amounts possible to the ISC ($10-15k would be ideal). 3) We need some help with showing up to some meetings at capital (easy & I can assist here) 4) some Creative minds to help with maybe a weekly to monthly (consistent) post for IBA on Instagram & Facebook (done at same time as they can be linked) & getting website upgraded (Chad W helping on website). THIS IS NOT A BIG TASK IN BIG PICTURE, THANK YOU & WE MUST DO THIS!!!!!!

OFFENSE ITEMS
- EXAMPLES:
1) Media/Celeb Tags MUST GO!!!!! It's time. >10,000,000 views per year promoting Iowa where we have a 5-6 year wait for an archery tag - it's got to stop. It's building massive pressure. The program is causing damage to our state. It has no justification. All sides agree on this. These tags can be allocated to the Auction Tag program.... One example is: the DNR can keep the funds from these tags .... which would total about $375,000 (15 x $25k average) to fund access to more walk-in land or whatever cause or program for better access. For example... Even decent land, $10/acre incentive across state would allow this program to access 37,500 more acres for hunters!!!! Kill 2 birds, one stone. There's VAST SUPPORT ON ALL SIDES FOR THIS!!!! THIS PROGRAM WILL BE TRANSITIONED TO USING THOSE TAGS FOR CHARITY GROUPS OR FOR ACCESS TO MORE WALK-IN LAND!
2) More aggressive fines & law enforcement "efforts" For egregious poachers (the guys in most neighborhoods shooting multiple bucks out truck windows for example) & increased trespassing fines. This also could be as simple as a discussion, agreement or policy of priorities for our DNR law Enforcement.
3) DOWN THE ROAD.... IF IF IF the scumbags keep degrading the fragile resource, we will have no choice but to go to 1 buck. It's their hand that would force this. We are not going for it now but ready IF the scumbag Special Interests ruin Iowa- WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN!
4) Any common sense reg change... we will get it passed. Simple things like "Could we use Archery equipment during gun season?" Common sense examples like that could be passed. WE KNOW the random common sense regs that would have vast support. FILL IN THE BLANK, IF IT'S NEEDED, WE CAN DO IT. Another example.... “SURE, year-round Racoon Trapping” - we can't find people to trap & #'s are out of hand - everyone agrees on stuff like that. & Remember, "everyone" - let's say "75% for example"... We’re talking thresholds like that.
5) Get quotas reduced in the vast pockets of the state that are almost "void of deer" (think most of N Iowa).
6) “Education” to politicians, farmers, hunters, etc - THERE'S 3 Existing programs to deal with excess deer #'s NOW: Depredation tags, DNR Officers with list of folks wanting to shoot does (that demand for access NEVER gets met) & $ Incentives for angry farmers to allow walk-in access to hunters that will shoot deer. There's a few angry farmers that raise heck to DNR, Farm Bureau & Legislator - we could/should create a public list online where those folks can call & complain & then allow access to their land with stipulations for the public to access this land to hunt those deer. WIN/WIN!
6) Common sense regs that promote a more balanced age structure & healthy herd. TBD.
7) EHD RESEARCH FUNDING!!! There’s a LOT of funds for research, treatment & studying of wildlife diseases. We need to & will push to get more research into treatments, remedies & understanding EHD in Midwest!!!! Some might want to take a portion of CWD funding to divert to EHD research.
7) IBA & ISC have done or will do things far beyond what's listed here!!!!

DEFENSE:
1) We’ll make this really simple!!!!!!...... NO MORE!!! NO MORE WEAPONS, NO MORE SEASONS, NO MORE TAGS, NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! 4.5 months, 7 seasons, 6+ Weapon choices - LEAVE US ALONE!!!!!!! NO!!.... the lobbying groups who want: tags for outfitting. Tags to sell off to the Highest NR bidder. Special NR family member tags. NO TO THE IFC THAT WILL BE PUSHING RIFLES ACROSS THE STATE TO INCREASE GUN SALES! Whatever crazy acre amount & length of time to incentive more NR land acquisition.... NO MORE!!! It's already getting tougher as it sits. & I'll give you all an example.... I love these folks but I know HUNDREDS of NR BUDDIES who ask me "tell me when they change the law, even if it's a 10 year wait, I'll buy 80 acres for any price if I can eventually get guaranteed tag- that's only 2 draw cycles!!!!" God Bless ‘em and I Love ‘em, BUT!.... Our state will completely be owned by NR's & every AVERAGE Section will get sectioned down to 80 acres- END OF IOWA. <8% timber & lack of access causing residents to quit - AS IT IS. NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!

2) Ravin Lobbyists kept at bay. Our State is not for sale. We have crossbows for their own late season + Injured, disabled & seniors. Archery season is packed – leave the seasons & regulations alone!!!!

3) The special interest “Additional Special Tags” sell-out groups stopped (it's a TINY GROUP of folks funding & pushing this for a variety of tags).

4) No to all the whacko selfish weapon companies: Air bows, RIFLES, Crossbows, WHATEVER!!!!

5) Any threats that will ruin a biologically sound Balanced Herd. Hurt access. Degrade Age structure. Make us look more like our Degraded neighbors, etc, etc. You all get the point. Especially the folks here that have hunted degraded states.
WHATEVER I LEFT OUT.... I am sure most of you GET IT.... We can adjust, fill in the blanks. All of the above, is from 1-2 years of meetings & feedback. This is the result of a dozen+ meetings with the right folks in last few months. This is their call to action. Which is our call to action. This MUST happen. It WILL HAPPEN.
THE PLAN IS HERE, THE MACHINE TO DO IT IS BUILT & ALL THAT’S LEFT IS FILLING IN THE LAST FUNDING NEEDS OF IT: DONE!!!!

Skip,
Appreciate everything you're doing. Enjoyed the talk on the HUNTR podcast a couple weeks ago with Chris Dunkin.

Out of town for the next few days but will get a reminder set to come back to this thread and contribute.
Thanks!!! I’ll link that up as well just in case!! I’m a bafoon… Dunkin is great!! Just fast forward when I speak!! ;) usually starts like 10-15 mins in…..

The legislature needs to hear from us. If they only hear from 1 side, we'll get what that side wants. Here is our chance, don't let it slip away. Don't assume other people will bear the burden for you. We can show them that iowa is not for sale with a small mount of money and a united voice.

I’ll also give u a sneak peek of what’s coming this year. Everything from “my gut tells me it’s coming” all the way to “oh, it’s already done, it’s gonna get tried!”…..
1) crossbow lobby will push to get crossbows forced into archery. Either full on press this year or a slippery slope method.
2) Iowa Firearms coalitian to make a 180 degree pivot from their previous stance “we have no desire to get calibers <.35 in deer season. Push to get rifles in iowa (which will result in fatalities, shot up homes, buildings, etc) with our deer drives
3) MORE SPECIAL TAGS!!!!!! Outfitters want basically unlimited and will start with some # like 500-1000 year 1. NR tags for “those that identify as family”. Tags for every landowner to auction off to the highest bidder! A couple more examples here.
4) air bows or air guns during archery.
5) increase quotas, counties & season lengths for the late shed buck season.
6) a few more keeping tabs on.
Basically: liberalize weapons, seasons, special interest tags & more killing. That’s what the special interests will try. & we will stop them. We are on this. Just another reason to make sure we have the proper defense & funding to get us rolling so they go down in flames.

• Deleted by Sligh1
  • Reason: Added EHD action item to above
Show…
Definitely will help in anyway that I can. Sounds like $$$ is going to be an important part to this. Anyway a "banquet" or two be organized with donated items/services/etc to be raffled off? Thru many years of coaching, having raffles was an absolute GREAT way to raise money. I don't like the idea of having say 10 people donating $1k each even if their pocketbooks can afford this. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!! How about 10,000 people each commit to donate $5. There were over 50,000 archery licenses sold last year so I think its time for us to finally banded together, put a little bit of skin in the game, and take a small bit of money out of our own pockets to KEEPING IOWA GREAT!!!!!

Definitely will help in anyway that I can. Sounds like $$$ is going to be an important part to this. Anyway a "banquet" or two be organized with donated items/services/etc to be raffled off? Thru many years of coaching, having raffles was an absolute GREAT way to raise money. I don't like the idea of having say 10 people donating $1k each even if their pocketbooks can afford this. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!!! How about 10,000 people each commit to donate $5. There were over 50,000 archery licenses sold last year so I think its time for us to finally banded together, put a little bit of skin in the game, and take a small bit of money out of our own pockets to KEEPING IOWA GREAT!!!!!
Im all for this!!!! $5….. do it!!! $1….. do it!!! Please!!!
I just know there’s hundreds of guys here who are capable of bigger chunks so we can move AG rapid pace. The reality is: we need to do this now and fast. IMO- big or small- anything is great!!! $1 or $1,000!!!! The bigger the gift- the faster we get there. & some are capable of bigger amounts. Some are not. If u are not- don’t do drop! Anyone: absolutely - a dollar - a nickel - anything!!!! Small or big: we have to be able to do BOTH. I sure don’t want to minimize anyone or any amount.
Great point & post. Thanks!!

Im all for this!!!! $5….. do it!!! $1….. do it!!! Please!!!
I just know there’s hundreds of guys here who are capable of bigger chunks so we can move AG rapid pace. The reality is: we need to do this now and fast. IMO- big or small- anything is great!!! $1 or $1,000!!!! The bigger the gift- the faster we get there. & some are capable of bigger amounts. Some are not. If u are not- don’t do drop! Anyone: absolutely - a dollar - a nickel - anything!!!! Small or big: we have to be able to do BOTH. I sure don’t want to minimize anyone or any amount.
Great point & post. Thanks!!
Are they taking the money now or will it be collected later and advertised?

Are they taking the money now or will it be collected later and advertised?
Send funds now. U can send to IBA with the address above or u can send to ISC with the links above. Both are super easy & now is the time. Thx!!

Man, I wish we had these efforts in MO. I’m about to have:

Youth season last weekend of October (cold front).

Rifle season peak rut. For CWD counties, this is an extra week long

Youth season last weekend of November.

What’s the best way I can help you help us? Are we too far gone?
Joe Cater- Deepwoodsgoathunter…. Contact him…. They will fix MO. It’s not easy & gonna take time but they are on it!!!!
I’ve hunted 30 years…. 10 years ago I’d say “I don’t think things can be changed”. & they couldn’t. NOW- I’ve never seen or felt a revolution like now. More folks have woken up & willing to fight. I assure u… the legislators have had their eyes opened as well. Even they know changes (for the good) are coming. They support it too. It needs to keep GROWING & it is… things will change. Not overnight but the pendulum is swinging!!!!! MO, IL, OH, etc!!!!

Skip, is they're a way you can make it so that business owners can tie this in with advertising at tax time? Maybe a page in a newsletter that lists business names that have donated? A t-shirt with names on it? Anything that allows a business to call it an advertising expense?

I'm no tax expert (hopefully one will chime in here) but my tax people always move my charitable donations over to advertising expenses whenever possible. I notice that local charities usually acknowledge donations in the community which allows them to be written off as advertising as well.

This is huge. Are either of these 501c3 ? I'm not sure about the legalities of mixing non-profits and lobbying but it might get businesses and individuals to donate more if they are able to write that off on their taxes.

This is huge. Are either of these 501c3 ? I'm not sure about the legalities of mixing non-profits and lobbying but it might get businesses and individuals to donate more if they are able to write that off on their taxes.
I am pretty sure both are tax deductible the way they are set up. But i will check on this…

I am pretty sure both are tax deductible the way they are set up. But i will check on this…
IBA is a 501(c)4 and not tax deductible.

Top Bottom