Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The poachers...

dbltree

Super Moderator
have started already
crazy.gif
2 bucks and a doe, shot and left to rot
mad.gif
I can't think of anything that is more frustrating then dealing with poachers. These deer were shot at night in open field areas and not much I can do about it. The local CO was called but it's pretty tough unless you can catch them in the act.

Many of you don't live where your land is and most likely aren't even aware. Just be sure to keep those food plots hidden and try to get some kind of screen planted along the fencelines.

Next the "headless" bucks will start to be found...hopefully it won't be on your property.........

Let me add this.

Even if you think it is too late the CO's still need to know. They can use this information to build cases later. An example: If you see a red ford truck spotlighting, call it in. If the CO does not get there in time to check it out they still have the info on the red truck. If a week later they get another call on a red ford they can maybe start to put a puzzle together.................

I'd say "sorry to hear" but it just doesn't do any good any more and seems to be repeated with increasing frequency these days.

I've had my share of trespassers, but I've never found any bucks with their heads cut.....thank god! Hopefully this will be a better year for you.

[ QUOTE ]
I've had my share of trespassers, but I've never found any bucks with their heads cut.....thank god! Hopefully this will be a better year for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not starting off to good thats for sure
crazy.gif

I'm just hoping to keep raising awarness to this neverending and worsening problem. It's difficult to fight but at least landowners have some options.

We can make it tough by keeping our borders planted to living screens, create safe haven bedding areas, planting native grasses and hidden foodplots.

The deer they shot were down the road from my place in wide open farm land...near a residence no less.

Just report everything you can to your CO and hopefully he'll spend more time in problem areas. They have an impossible task with huge areas of rough country to cover...they need all the help the can get.

Make sure you have their cell ph# in your cell as well. It's kind of like fighting terrorists...they won't give up...but neither will we!

I would also suggest to call the local Sheriff's office to report any suspicous activity that you see. They will probably have a faster response time, and can maybe at least get someone stopped until the warden can get there. Remember that any peace offcer in Iowa can write game and fish violations, it dosen't have to be the game warden.

[ QUOTE ]
I would also suggest to call the local Sheriff's office to report any suspicous activity that you see. They will probably have a faster response time, and can maybe at least get someone stopped until the warden can get there. Remember that any peace offcer in Iowa can write game and fish violations, it dosen't have to be the game warden.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good reminder! I've called the sheriffs office several times with quick results. With only one CO handling two counties he often can't get there that quick.

One warden for two counties? I guess that we're "lucky" that we get one all to ourselves. Those guys are definately spread out too thin.IMO
If I remember correctly Clinton Co. has like over 800 miles of secondary roads. There's no way he can be everywhere.

Last publication by the DNR lists Washington county as "vacant". Is this because of trouble finding qualified candidates or problems with hiring and budgets?

I saked a CO that last year and it is a case of retirements and no budget to fill the holes. But that was over a year ago. WaRshington County may be different.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Last publication by the DNR lists Washington county as "vacant". Is this because of trouble finding qualified candidates or problems with hiring and budgets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good grief...and I thought ours was spread thin...at least we have one
crazy.gif

I've seen some people comment that we don't need more officers...obviously many people aren't aware of the severity of the problem
confused.gif

I agree, and after what happened last year in Wisconsin, I know all I can do is watch trespassers/poachers if I'm in the woods...confrontation may not be worth it. I'm going to have a video camera in the woods this year and submit that to the CO if the same problems arise...hopefully I can keep it steady while the slugs fly.

Top Bottom