Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Sick 10

We first got trail cam pics of this buck last summer and he looked like he was just skin and bones and you could see some wounds on his side..we honestly weren't sure if he would survive or not.

2011-64.jpg

Towards the end of summer and into the fall he actually ended up filling out pretty well in the body and we figured him to be 4.5 years old.

2011-613.jpg

2011-102-1.jpg

Can't remember the exact date but I actually passed him up last year. I can't remember if this was before or after we were kind of exclusively hunting for W2 (the deer we almost shot), but either way he got the pass.

Fast forward to this summer, he shows up again and appears to not have grown much from the previous year other than adding small G-5s and a small sticker off a G-2. At 5.5 though he was a shooter no matter on his rack size!

We got a few daylights videos of him in September close to one of our foodplots and tried to get on him youth season but didn't see him. He actually remained unseen until about a week ago I watched him from our building through the spotting scope walk into one of our food plots. This was the first time we laid eyes on him this year although we had been getting a few videos of him at night in the plots.

Saturday night mom and dad were hunting a blind up on one of the plots and had him come out and literally walk 5 feet from the blind...problem was he was on the side and back and dad had no shot.

CDY_0027-1.jpg

So Sunday night dad and I head up there in hopes of getting a shot at him, this time we brought the doe decoy with us!

Some does came out at about 4:45 250 yards away. After a couple minutes they left so I hit the horns...couple minutes later he appeared right where the does were and was walking right for us. He stopped about 100 yards out and fed in the beans. I bleated to him with little reaction (he could see the decoy). He looked like he might be heading into the timber so I grunted at him. That got his attention pretty fast and he was again coming towards us! He cut down in the timber probably 75 yards away. In the means time a little buck had come into the decoy and was a little spooky, so I was hoping that he wouldn't blow out of there and alert the sick 10. Luckily he circled around the blind behind us so I hit the grunt call again and the sick 10 appeared...43 yards away and slowly working to the decoy in an aggressive posture. I stopped him broadside at 35 yards and delivered a deadly shot! I will admit though I got pretty lucky as the broadhead just grazed the shoulder bone but ate through the should blade pretty well. Any further forward and he would still be walking! Dead is dead though...he only made it about 30 yards out of the plot and we heard him crash!

He is in fact 5.5 and scores 140"!

101_1864.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7208.jpg

We always called him the Sick 10, and his body this year was way short of impressive...when we skinned him we found this. Any ideas on what it is? No gut shot or cut guts or anything.

IMG_7222.jpg

Probably fighting wounds. Someone horned him in the hinny as a going away present. Trim it well & you're good to go. Congrtats!

I was thinking the same things. Dont eat that deer and he looks way bigger than 140. 13 points overall. He should gross well into the 150's i would think.

Jason

Great looking deer! Not sure what that is under the skin. I personally would not take a chance with it, especially if it smells at all funky. A 5.5 year old deer is always a trophy! Congrats!

Top Bottom