Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

There Moving!

I

IowaBuckSlayer2013

So I hit some public land today. I found a area that has been mapped out by someone. They have pink flags lining the deer trails. So I thought hey I will sit 20 yards from there treestand and see what is moving. After sitting there for about 45 minutes I had a small buck chasing two does. Well as my luck runs he came down the middle of the revene and not using a trail he has been using all year. So I left to come home because wife had to work. On my way home I seen a nice shooter 8 point pushing two does just off the county road. Will be seeking the land owners permission to hunt that area as it borders a cut grass field a creek and a downed corn field. Now its time to hit the woods hard this week and weekend.

I hunted hard the last 6 days. Over that span seen maybe 20 total deer. Biggest buck was a forky and maybe 4 does. Zero sign of any rut going on. I was after one specific buck and her never showed. That was some of the toughest hunting I've ever experienced, but back at it this weekend.

It is going on just really scattered I think the little bucks will be doing more breeding then usual.The big ones are few & far between,someone will get the job done while there in the next county.

I hunted hard the last 6 days. Over that span seen maybe 20 total deer. Biggest buck was a forky and maybe 4 does. Zero sign of any rut going on. I was after one specific buck and her never showed. That was some of the toughest hunting I've ever experienced, but back at it this weekend.

Amen. Been hunting the last 8 days straight. Minus Yesterday. I've seen one shooter that entire time. Probably 5-6 bucks to every doe....but all dinks. 9 deer came to the field I was hunting over tonight...8 bucks and 1 doe.. they all checked her but no rutting activity. Most days have been all day sits and this is the worst year I've seen in my 22 years of bowhunting. I'm stumped and mentally drained. :thrwrck: Marion and Warren county

Nug

Last edited:
I will be back at it in the morning. Hope to get a jump on where he will be moving through tomorrow.

Buck to doe ratio is way out of whack in all the timber I've been in this year even in the southern tier counties. Way more bucks than does from what I'm seeing. Either that or the does are all fluzies and arent making the bucks chase them anymore.

On a country side drive from mason city area to Grundy ctr area saw 7 total bucks all with or chasing doe, all near the roadways, all in cut cornfields. A couple around 130-140, one definitely mid 150's the others were typical 2.5 yr olds. The big one was holding a doe down while keeping a 130ish buck from approaching.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Had a big 8 and rabid spike chasin a doe 2 days ago at 3pm. Day before saw a 120ish 8 with a doe in wide open at 1 pm. Today at 9 checked a 10 acre block of timber. Saw buck crusin other side k. Another timber. In just a few minutes he was within 8 feet of me and I was on ground. Got super video. Move into creek bottom I have been staying out of to check camera. Well no camera to be found but turn to leave and a 165plus 10 walks up bank right to me. No video but Iit showed me what they want to do. That was at 10 minutes after eleven and he had to have crossed my entry trail.
I have seen way more bucks than does and I wont shoot any does till I see changes.

Last edited:
Been hunting all day for last 5 days and today was the best day I've had in all my hunting career. Both bucks and does moving all day long. Small bucks, mature bucks, and everything in between.

After 6 days of hunting all day in a stand I got it done. Seen a ton of deer and had a great season. Deer ate moving in southern Iowa.

I've been seeing "rut" activity for about a week now with the heaviest I've seen over last weekend. That being said it's mostly been the little guys but I have seen one or two older bucks chasing.
I didn't make it out at all on Monday or Tuesday but went out this evening and didn't see squat until 4:30 or so when a doe and her yearling strolled by like it was August...not sure what's going on.

The farms I hunt are basically dead and have been dead since I started on Halloween.....that includes 5 all day sits since Nov. 4th. Just not seeing mature deer snooping around like normal....or seeing any lockdown.

Yeah I've been seeing activity for a week and it's the best I've seen in 5 years. Just an incredible amount of cruising and the last 4 days has produced tending by mature deer.

Sat all day last 4 days little bucks chasing 2 mature deer total. Don't know what's going on. Maybe locked down and it was to scattered to produce any great rut activity. Out now and I has been dead all day saw 2 small deer this morning. Around Desmoines

sent from super hunters I phone

Top Bottom