Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

They Finally Cooperate and I Blow It!

kam582

I have been hunting hard without much success until this morning. I thought I had blown it first thing as I set up according to where they always roost, only to find that they had roosted in different trees, and I was within 100 yards of them. I knew they would fly down away from me, and they did.

I still had them gobbling until about 0730 and then they seemed to quit. I figured they were still in the area, so I decided to hunt until at least noon. Sure enough, at about 0930, three toms came strolling down the hill on the tree line I was set up on. When they just kept on walking, I called softly a couple of times. All three would gobble, but they just kept on walking. I was set up in a pass though in the tree line, where the farmer drives his equipment through to get to the fields on the other side. I wasn't sure they could see my decoys because of the way the land lays where I was at. They went out of sight, but would still gobble when I would yelp.

Two of the toms made a circle and started back up the field on the opposite side of where I had first seen them. They were still gobbling when I would yelp. When they finally saw the decoys, they came in. So far, just like TV, until I picked up the bow.

I had one finally at about 10 yards, and let it fly. The arrow hit solid and the bird did a complete flip, and I thought he was DRT for a second. Then the arrow pulled out and they both trotted off, with the bird I had just hit looking like there was nothing wrong. That's when I began to have a bad feeling. Don't ask how I can miss at 10 yards, but I did. Maybe too close?

I waited for 30 minutes, not sure why but I am kind of new at this archery turkey hunting and that's what I do for deer, then I went to look. I spooked both birds about 400 yards up the tree line and they both flew off. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that old tom will survive to gobble another day.

Now my question, I really like the spot where I set up, even if they roost in the same trees as I can walk in another way and if I leave the blind up, I can get in undetected. Can I hunt that same spot, and if so, how soon. I left the blind up this morning, something I have never done before, but if you guys say that spot is done, I can retrieve it this afternoon. I know if that tom had been an old buck, I would be done, but I'm not sure about turkeys.

Thanks for any advice.

The arrow hit solid and the bird did a complete flip, and I thought he was DRT for a second. Then the arrow pulled out and they both trotted off, with the bird I had just hit looking like there was nothing wrong.

Keep hunting it. Especially with bows, they don't get spooked from a spot. You even said it yourself in your post and that's exactly right. Strange deal though that you hit one good enough to flip it and then it walked away like nothing happened. What kind of broadhead are you using?

NAP Spitfires, with the turkey head. Killed one last year with one, died right on the spot he was standing, but I hit him more solid apparently.

That stinks, if it makes you feel any better I missed a hen with a 10 inch beard tonight with the shotgun. I wondered how people miss with a gun, but now I know. My first wiff and it doesn't feel good. You actually hit yours at least. Keep at it!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I left my blind out and went back to it this morning. Saw two toms, probably the same ones, but they weren't interested this morning. For some reason, not nearly the activity this morning as yesterday morning. Not as many hens calling, turkeys did not gobble nearly as much. I wonder what causes that? I guess they are not like bucks, going all the time when they are in rut.

I moved the blind to near where they are roosting and am going to try an evening hunt for the first time. It looks like some of you guys have had some luck hunting in the evening, so I thought I might give it a try.

They are TOUGH birds. Keep at it and I agree that the area will still produce as they really didn't see you get out of the blind or associate danger with it at this point. For all he knows he got spurred :) Good luck and if you can pattern the travel route at night it can be a great hunt. Good luck...we have all been there!

I've been there too and it's frustrating but you just have to roll with the punches. Go get 'em!

-Longspurs-

Top Bottom