Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Think she'll make it?

ShedHunter1

This doe has been on the farm before 1st. season seems to be healthy and her leg looks like it will fall of soon. Think she'll make it?
I can't believe the coyotes didn't get her yet, allthough we have that population under control.

CDY_0037-1.jpg

I shot a huge doe one year, that had a couple of fawns with her too, that had a severely deformed front leg. I shot it on opening morning of shotgun season, after passing several other deer earlier, because I thought it had been wounded by some other hunters. It was limping very noticeably and I thought I was doing the sporting thing by taking her down.

Well, as it turned out, she was fine, even though her one front leg was useless, she was doing just fine on three legs...in an area where there were plenty of coyotes. So apart from infection, etc, I think that doe could get along just fine on 3 legs.

we had a 3 legged Nanny on the ranch for 3 years. I would never see her while deer hunting, but every year turkey hunting she would bust me.

good friend of mine took a tripod doe this year. Hit her with his Grandmas Buick last year and never saw her again then this year she hobbled by his stand early this year and finished the job.

If she hasn't died yet I would bet on her making it another year. I kept an eye on a soon to be three legged doe last winter. In the spring she traveled two miles into town and found suitable cover between a dentist office and a large car dealer.

My friends had one similar to her eating in their yard last winter and she survived. The funny part, when it came time to do some shed hunting, they found her leg.

They are tough animals. The buck I shot a few days ago with my muzzleloader was missing his leg. He had been wounded during early muzzy (shot in the leg), and the leg finally came off. I can't believe the amount of trauma that they can withstand.

Top Bottom