Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This is nuts

The most activity that I have been seeing in the last few days has occurred midday. Location wise, I'm just downwind of a bedding area. Lots of chasing and tending going on in there.

Haven't been out hunting yet, but driving around I've come across a lot of Does feeding with few bucks around. With this Snow front coming through it should make great hunting as the Deer should be hitting the fields earlier. Suppose to be a SE Wind.

Anyone else still having luck hitting the horns?

Haven't had anything big come in, but now would be a good time to do as the mature bucks are on the feet. I like doing it later rather than earlier in rut because you tend to call in a lot of younger deer in. Good Luck to those with a Tag still in their pocket and planning being on stand before this front comes through.

Anyone else still having luck hitting the horns?

Tried the horns Friday morning, blind calling, nothing came in. Saw one buck, tried the horns when he stopped about 100 yards away. Kept going the direction he was headed. He was on the move just running thru, not with nose to the ground or grunting. Probably 3.5 yr old.

Saturday evening I had a mature buck (from what I could make out in foggy binos) about 80-100 yards or so. Tried the horns and a few grunts when he started away from me. He turned and came back my way a little, but never committed. There was a doe and fawn in the area with him that got pushed off the field I was hunting by a coyote, so that may have been part of the problem. Not sure if he was starting to chase the doe a little as it was starting to get dark, but he walked toward it and then it almost looked like he charged it. Guess there could have been another doe I didn't see that he was guarding or it could have been a spike or something and I just couldn't see the antlers. Anyway, got a response, but no commitment.

Saw two 150s with does off the road at 9:50 and 10:17am this morning. One was chasing, the other was just standing next to her.

I watched my #1 hit lister all weekend... seen him with a doe starting after 8 am each day... on their feet again around noon... never saw them other than those times Friday, Saturday and Sunday..

Top Bottom