Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

This will make a guy feel safe......

Liv4Rut

I climb up into a tree on some public ground today about noon to sit it out the rest of the day. About 3 hours later I happened to notice a fresh slug hole about 5 ft in front of me chest high on the limb I was resting my arm on. I had a queezy feeling in my stomach all night long. The crazy thing is I am going back there tomorrow morning. Hope it was a fluke. I am not very high only 16 or 17feet at the platform.. The slug hole was probably at the 20feet mark. Not a hill in sight, completely flat ground. Talk about nuts!!! I wish I would of never seen it!!!
982-slug.jpg

I kind of doubt the tree rat theory. This stand is in the middle of about a 40 acre patch of tall grass with no other trees around it. We will say that it is though because it will make me more comfortable lol.

Scary situation for sure. Slugs seem to have a mind of there own when it comes to changing flight path after they have hit something. More than once i have seen slugs shot down hill into a creek or draw end up in the tree tops after bouncing off thawed ground.

Scary.. This guy is obviously a bad shot. I wouldn't worry about him hitting the same spot twice... :)

12 gauge on a tree rat is just a waste of meat! im sure glad tree rats don't have antlers. I don't need the competition for them!

Public land

I'm guessing someone saw the stand there and decided to be a dumbass and put a hole there to scare whoever was sitting in it.

Yep, that is exactly what I was thinking, fairly common thing on public land, I've heard that in MN guys will get to their stand and there is a hole right about where a guy would be sitting in the stand.

Just confirms the horror stories of Iowa's shot gun season. Lets get ten guys together and go walk through the woods and shot at everything that moves. Whatever happened to putting in the leg work of scouting to put yourself in a good spot for a deer . This is not hunting this is not hunting this is slaughtering. Just glad I'm a bowhunter cause I don't have to worry about all the bullets flying or the disrespect to the guy that is sitting and hunting not slaughtering . Just my opinion and opinion are like backsides everyone has one so no offense intended.

Yep, that is exactly what I was thinking, fairly common thing on public land, I've heard that in MN guys will get to their stand and there is a hole right about where a guy would be sitting in the stand.

Hopefully you don't wear the old school treebark camo?....

I'm guessing someone saw the stand there and decided to be a dumbass and put a hole there to scare whoever was sitting in it.

I actually hung the stand that night. I always hang and hunt on public ground. Just odd that the tree I picked out happened to have a slug hole in it.

Hey Mike, that's a little freaky the strange thing is I came from a state where everyone use's high powered rifles and you rarely hear of anyone getting shot. But here it sounds like the norm each year I guess it is just a result of some of the deer drives.

Just confirms the horror stories of Iowa's shot gun season. Lets get ten guys together and go walk through the woods and shot at everything that moves. Whatever happened to putting in the leg work of scouting to put yourself in a good spot for a deer . This is not hunting this is not hunting this is slaughtering. Just glad I'm a bowhunter cause I don't have to worry about all the bullets flying or the disrespect to the guy that is sitting and hunting not slaughtering . Just my opinion and opinion are like backsides everyone has one so no offense intended.

This ought to stir up a hornet's nest lol. Can't say I completely disagree though. I have hunted in small groups (4 or 5 guys max) that were very safe and ethical and it was actually a lot of fun. A nice change of pace from being alone in the woods. We would usually do what's called a scent drive, and the drivers would work very slow with the wind at their back. This way when the deer spooked they were usually just at a trot, which is a much better shot than at a full out run. Some of these guys in large groups though act like it's the wild west and I don't like it, I have seen the way some of these guys operate and it just isn't for me.

Top Bottom