Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts?

Bearcat

Was wondering what your thoughts would be about the following situation that unfolded on me last bow season. I had a very nice 8-10 point buck come within 35 yards of my stand last October, and I was very confident with my ability from that distance, or so I thought. I shot high on him hitting him towards the top of his back. He immediately dropped as though I had spine-shot him. I waited for about 5 minutes, and he never moved. As I was just about to start my decent from my stand he got up and ran about 45 yards through a wooded area into standing corn. As he ran through the wooded area he jumped a ditch and fell in the middle of it, lending me to believe he was going to die there. He immediately got up and, as I mentioned earlier, headed into the standing corn. I walked EVERY INCH of the cornfield with no success. The blood trail was decent up until about 20 yards into the cornfield and then disappeared. I have searched all the surrounding land around the cornfield and still no luck. I was hoping he might show up when the field was harvested but again no luck. Hoping he is still alive and maybe get some pictures of him on my trail cameras. I had one of him just minutes before I shot him just not clear enough to tell how many points he had. Trying to stay optimistic!

Hit close to the spine and shocked it causing temporary damage/paralysis. If that's the case he should be just fine unless the broadhead stayed in and ended up moving and cutting an artery or eventually did permanent damage to the spine. I'm guessing he's fine.

Sounds like you hit above the spine and delivered shock as opposed to hemmoraging. I'd guess he would live unless something happened as Lyon said with the broadhead staying in there.

X3 What LYON & hoosierhunter said. Spinal shock put him down but he recovered. No arteries of any significance to hit up there even if the broadhead is still in him, just skin & backstrap. Unless he got caught playing on the Hiway, he's fine.

Top Bottom