Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Throw and Grow

NWBuck

PMA Member
Anyone tried this stuff? I bought a small bag to put in a "hunt plot" and wondering what anyone else's experience is. The area has marginal sunlight, but does get some. The mix seems to be primarily rye grass, so thinking it will be OK. We cleared the area this morning, now waiting for a forecast rain (good luck with that, I know) so we can seed it.

NWBuck

I looked at a bad of this once but I can't remember what the breakdown is. Regardless though, I would get some plain field rye seed and "throw" that, it will be cheaper than any store bought option and grow in places that almost nothing else will.

We did some a few years back. Tilled the ground and spread it around. Wasnt overly impressed although it was kindof a spur of the moment food plot with little prep work. Also didnt help that we had imperial wintergreens 50 yards from it either. Probably would be ok in a remote spot by itself.

Do anyone of you know if you have to fertilize the ground as it says on the bag. I sprayed a remote area and I was wondering where to buy some cheap fertilizer or if I even need it.

I'm going to throw some down with mine...just to maximize its' chances of taking off should we ever get a rain. An inexpensive bag of 13-13-13 all purpose type lawn fertilizer should be available at any of the major home improvement stores. Probably even Wally World.

NWBuck

NWBuck said:
I'm going to throw some down with mine...just to maximize its' chances of taking off should we ever get a rain. An inexpensive bag of 13-13-13 all purpose type lawn fertilizer should be available at any of the major home improvement stores. Probably even Wally World.

NWBuck

I think that is what we used on ours if i remember right

i tried small plots with throw & grow this spring, they came up great, and looked good untill now.. they are fried! dry and dead!

Thats what rye does. Plant it late otherwise they wont even eat it, it grows up, seeds out and dies. theyll only eat it when its tender.

the brassicas were actually looking great untill the hot drought, but i havent checked it in about 3 weeks

its all mixed in the throw & grow bag. i planted it late spring like the bag told me to??

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
We put our small Throw and Grow plot in about 2 weeks ago, and it's looking really good so far. In fairness though, we were very lucky and caught a couple of timely rains :way: I guess I didn't look at when the bag said to plant it, but just knew from past experience rye and brassicas are best planted late July to early August.

NWBuck

well hell, that would have been nice to know..Ha! o well it looked great for a while but now without rain for a while it was all crispy. should i rip it up with my drag and seed it with clover now?? please help

so is now a good time to seed the clover? well as long as there is some rain in the forecast!

Im getting my fertilizer down for my clover/ brassica mix today. That way i am ready for the next rain. The clover will come up this fall but wont amount to much till spring. Remember clover will go dormant when it starts to frost so i would add a little something to it if you plan to hunt over it later in the season. Good luck!

Top Bottom