Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tiller hardpan?

Fishbonker

Life Member
I used my tiller for the first time last week. I got off the tractor to see how deep it was cutting. As I was looking at what, for lack of better term, I’d call the furrow, the part of the ground that is left uncovered when you raise the tiller, I was concerned that I was creating a “hardpan” from the pressure of the tines on the soil below them as they turn. I know ground that is turned with a moldboard plow will eventually develop a hardpan layer from the down pressure of the plow and eventually a subsoiler will be needed to break up the hard pan.

I had planned on planting radishes this year anyway and I am confident they will breakup any hardpan the tiller caused. But what about next year when I till and plant something different? Any of you folks noticed a reduction in growth from repeated use of a tiller?
<O:p</O:p
On a side note, do disc harrows cause less compaction?<O:p</O:p

I don't think one year will cause any hard pan so if you keep using radishes on a 2 or 3 year cycle you should be fine.

Frost heave! Hopefully the frost in the ground this winter will bust up any hard pan you might have below tiller tine depth.

hardpan

Ive used a tiller [bushog] for a number of years and you will eventually get a hard pan , I dont think radishses will be a problem, as I cant grow them[ grubs ] but carrots will. My solution was to get a picture of a sub soiler , give it to my brother and have him make it, as it was just painted and will use it next spring .... I think it will solve the problem.

I used my tiller for the first time last week. I got out the tractor paint to see how deep it was cutting. As I was looking at what, for lack of better term, I’d call the furrow, the part of the ground that is left uncovered when you raise the tiller, I was concerned that I was creating a “hardpan” from the pressure of the tines on the soil below them as they turn. I know ground that is turned with a moldboard plow will eventually develop a hardpan layer from the down pressure of the plow and eventually a subsoiler will be needed to break up the hard pan.

I had planned on planting radishes this year anyway and I am confident they will breakup any hardpan the tiller caused. But what about next year when I till and plant something different? Any of you folks noticed a reduction in growth from repeated use of a tiller?
<O:p</O:p
On a side note, do disc harrows cause less compaction?<O:p</O:p

I did some google searches and from what I've read, it appears that disc harrows do cause less compaction.

Top Bottom