Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Prices

Dad is looking to have some trees logged this year. What is everyone seeing for current timber prices? Specifically walnut right now, but interested in other species too.

Dad is looking to have some trees logged this year. What is everyone seeing for current timber prices? Specifically walnut right now, but interested in other species too.
“Very high”. ;).
Get bids!!!!! I know white oak is high. Walnut bounces some but last I checked it was super high.

When u get bids on marked trees - it’s crazy the variation of prices u will get bid.
Like- I’ve seen some where top bid is almost 10x the amount of the lowest bid. Common to see top bid be 3x that of lowest bid. It sure cements your mind into “holy cow, I’m glad I got bids!!!”

What’s size & amount of walnuts? Like ballpark amount of trees and ranges in size. Is there a fair bit of giant straight trees?

“Very high”. ;).
Get bids!!!!! I know white oak is high. Walnut bounces some but last I checked it was super high.

When u get bids on marked trees - it’s crazy the variation of prices u will get bid.
Like- I’ve seen some where top bid is almost 10x the amount of the lowest bid. Common to see top bid be 3x that of lowest bid. It sure cements your mind into “holy cow, I’m glad I got bids!!!”

What’s size & amount of walnuts? Like ballpark amount of trees and ranges in size. Is there a fair bit of giant straight trees?
Yeah, I told him to get bids from different loggers. He's had a few look, bids are basically within $3,000 of each other, but I'm not sure on what they should be. Think he said around 40 "logs", all would be 15" diameter or bigger. I haven't seen which ones they want to take, but I'm sure it would be a mix of straight and crooked. Not sure if they're talking veneer or lumber trees (maybe mixed).

What length is a "log"? Or does that basically mean a tree?
What is value of something really straight? Crooked/knots?
Is 15" common, or should they be left longer?

Yeah, I told him to get bids from different loggers. He's had a few look, bids are basically within $3,000 of each other, but I'm not sure on what they should be. Think he said around 40 "logs", all would be 15" diameter or bigger. I haven't seen which ones they want to take, but I'm sure it would be a mix of straight and crooked. Not sure if they're talking veneer or lumber trees (maybe mixed).

What length is a "log"? Or does that basically mean a tree?
What is value of something really straight? Crooked/knots?
Is 15" common, or should they be left longer?
I wouldn’t touch 15” trees if I owned it. Sounds like there is bigger so that’s good… If they are lumber grade- that’s only case to take smaller trees but 19”+ is usually lumber grade size where u start selling. If they junk & folks buy em smaller - ok.
VENEER!!!…. A 15”-20” veneer is like shooting a 145” 2 year old - just don’t ever touch them.
If they have limbs, defects and cat eyes, etc - sure- if u wanna take em - do it. The ones we want to protect at all costs are veneers under 25” unless they falling in a creek. 27”++ is ideal for veneer.
Log is 8’. There’s some trees with 4 logs in them. Occasionally more. That’s generally rare. 1 to 2 logs is very common for lumber grade.

All I’ll say is this…. All this sounds fine as long as they are not taking your immature veneers!!!
Good luck & fire back on how the bids end up!!!

Get bids for sure, my guess is the the 40 logs is actually 40 trees. I only cut 2 property’s this past winter and the price was real good but these were nice trees 20“ to maybe 28” this was measured inside the bark on the small end of each log.
Unless these are really good trees you may be limited to small operators as that isn’t a lot of trees for the bigger crews to move for. Also this is a bad time of year to cut with the sap back in th
e trees and the warmer weather. The next best window to cut will be in the fall. I just helped getting some bids on a property i manage on about 120 large white oak. So far I haven’t been real impressed with any of the bids but these are large but not great trees

Top Bottom