Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Time to trade?

kam582

For many years I shot an old, antique Browning bow, that I actually shot pretty good. Killed a lot of deer with it. Well, the grass is always greener, and I traded for a Hoyt Power Tech, that I cannot shoot consistently worth a %$#^&. I don't think the bow is very smooth, I don't like the "creep", and I don't think it's very "forgiving". Because of that, I have the grass is always greener bug once again and am thinking about trading bows. I have been intrigued by Strother Archery's Valor. I have read some rave reviews, but I never know if they are from Strother dealers or just ordinary hunters like myself. I note that the brace height is 8 1/4 inches, which I think I need, and from what I can tell they sell for somewhere around $600, which to me is a whole lot of money, but better than $800.

The only dealer I can find is Blackbird Archery, near Clarinda, which is about 70 miles from me. Two questions, is this the bow I am looking for, and has anyone dealt with Blackbird Archery? I don't want to drive 70 miles to be disappointed, especially at $4 a gallon.

Thanks for any help.

Is the Powertech tuned?

I mean if your cams are out of time or the bow is out of specs of course it will shoot bad.

Maybe all it needs is a good tune-up to make it shoot better.

I've had it tuned a couple of times. I tend to think it's more me than the bow, and it might be that I can't shoot any high speed bow. I would like to find a bow that while not necessarily the fastest bow on the market, is reasonably fast, and real forgiving. With my Hoyt, if I get my grip off even just a little, I will miss by several inches. I don't remember that with my old Browning. I don't think it's a lack of practice as I shoot year round, except maybe in the dead of winter 20 below type stuff. Maybe it's in my head, as I really worry about that aspect of my shooting. Maybe what I am looking for doesn't exist. I've owned exactly 3 bows in my life, an old Bear Whitetail, the Browning, and now the Hoyt. Not enough experience with bows to really know what I want. I also need a bow that I can set down a few pounds. I'm getting older, and I need rotator cuff surgery after next season. My Hoyt can't be set to any lower poundage.

I've read that the higher the brace height, the more forgiving the bow. The Strother Valor has one of the highest I have seen. Am I right in thinking this, or is there really no difference? I've hunted with bows most of my life, but really am not very technical about them.

I would have to say the grip is more important then the brace height. If you can't shoot consistently with a grip it won't matter what the brace height is you won't shoot good. Go shoot several bows and find out what grip suits you and go with the one that fits you best. You won't see much of a difference from say a 6.5" to a 7.5" brace.....being consistent with your grip is much more important.

instead of looking at the numbers and trying to guess what bow is for you, the best thing to do is hit the shops and shoot as many bow brands and models of each brand, as you can find. the right bow will find you. it may help to have the shop owners keep an eye on your form when you shoot. you may have picked up a bad habit that is being magnified by the hoyt.
i would recommend a trip to see boyd at buck hollow sports in pella. he carries a few different brands, and can give you some shooting advise as well.

also, i'd probably shy away from the 60-70 pound bows. a new bow, at 60 pounds is probably throwing arrows better than that old browning at 70. a bow with 50-60 pound limbs will give you more room to work with that shoulder and to work your way back from surgery. your inconsistancy could be a result of trying to overcompensate for your shoulder issues as well.

as far as the gas issues, find a couple buddys and split the gas costs. make a day of it and hit a bunch of shops. throw a post up on here, i'm sure you could find an extra guy somewhere along your route that would tag along

The only dealer I can find is Blackbird Archery, near Clarinda, which is about 70 miles from me. Two questions, is this the bow I am looking for, and has anyone dealt with Blackbird Archery? I don't want to drive 70 miles to be disappointed, especially at $4 a gallon.

Thanks for any help.

I have never purchased any merchandise from Blackbird Archery.

I can tell you that many of the Southwest Iowa Bowhunters Club members have.

I have heard nothing but good comments about the Balckbird Archery shop.

I tend to think it's more me than the bow

Have you ever had someone that really knows how to shoot look at your form? Do you know which eye is your dominate eye? Have someone else shoot the bow and see how they group arrows. I would make sure the bow is your problem before you try to buy accuracy. JMO

Thanks for the reply's. I am going to have to shoot several different bows and see what seems to work the best. I have had a pro shop owner watch me shoot some years ago, and I think that is what got me started down the wrong road. He suggested a correction in the grip that just has not worked out for me, and I need to get back to my old form. Good advice about not trying to buy accuracy, but I need to trade anyhow to get my poundage down. Getting old sucks.

Top Bottom