Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To Burn or Not to Burn

N9BOW

That is my question????

I have about 15 acres that were brush hogged in August and sprayed with RoundUp in September. We got a good burn down with the Herbicide. We were originally going to burn with fire let green up and spray again before planting anything...... BUT... after reading all the great material on this forum, and reading about drilling Switchgrass into the dead material because that material is beneficial to keep the soil moisture in the ground. I was curious if I should stick with our original plan.

Should I burn the dead grass and weeds that are left or leave it there.

We are putting in CP25 mix in one section, CIR switchgrass in another and Afpha Rack Plus, Imperial Whitetail and possbily some Brassicas.

maybe there is a mix of appoaches I should look at.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

N9BOW

[ QUOTE ]
Should I burn the dead grass and weeds that are left or leave it there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your going to broadcast rather then no-till drill, burning makes for better soil/seed contact...but it's not neccessary if you mowed it already.

I would advise burning more for those that didn't mow and spray last fall to remove the mat of sod grass.

Either way will work for you!
waytogo.gif

Thanks dbltree!

That will save me lots of coordination with the fire department! If I don't have to burn, then I will choose to just drill the seed in.

Sorry I did not get a chance to thank you for the post earlier, but I'm just getting back in from a business trip and reading up an the rest of the forum.

N9BOW

Top Bottom