Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To mount or not to mount

K

klg53

I shot a nice 10 point this year that measured out to right around 140 inches. Its my best buck so far, but my question is, how many of you guys would mount one this size. I'm debating whether get a full mount of this one or do a board mount or a european. If anyone has any other ideas or different things they have done, it would probably help me decide. Thanks.

If you think you might regret not getting it done, mount it. If you decide on a European mount the cape will have value to a taxidermist to help out some poor guy who found his deer too late. Either way save the cape. European mounts are cool too. Ultimately the decision is yours to live with. Sounds like a great buck regardless. Congrats.

Europeon skull mounts look awesome if prepared the right way. Since you thrive in Iowa, 140 are average shooters from what I'm seeing. But if there change to spare, get him mounted, its your biggest to date. I would dream of shooting a 140 buck any day.

I shot a mid 130's perfect 10 on Thanksgiving weekend that's going up. It's my second biggest to date, and 140's aren't nearly as common up here as they are in other parts of the state. I'd say go for it
waytogo.gif

NWBuck

To heck with the score - what will you think when you look at the mounted deer? Will you be thinking that it's 'not that big', or will you remember the day of the hunt, how the shot happened, and how you felt when you first went over to the downed deer ?
I have a buck mounted that at first glance looks kinda big, but really isn't that large. He was a declining deer that had a large body when I shot him. I had seen him a couple years earlier when I got down from my stand too early. To this day, I fondly remember how majestic that buck looked whenever I look at the mount. Long answer . . . good luck with your decision.

if you mount a 140 that almost guarantees you'll shoot something bigger next year.
smile.gif

140 is a nice deer. What's the down side of mounting him, if you take one bigger in years to come then you'll have a nicer looking wall. More is better, besides antlers always look bigger on a mount. I vote full shoulder mount and yes I have mounts that don't come close to 140.

AGS

SAVE THE CAPE AND GIVE IT TO A TAXIDERMIST. DO A EUOPEAN MOUNT. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT YOU CAN ALWAYS GET IT MOUNTED LATER. IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE THIS YEAR.

In my opinion a 140 class buck is a very nice deer. You are apparently struggling with thoughts of getting him mounted………….well I say one can never have too many deer heads mounted.
smile.gif

I should also say that my wife doesn’t necessarily agree with my line of thinking!
frown.gif

I'd say get him done, as of now I have 4 counting the one from this year, not done yet. I'll mount as many as I can if I'm lucky enough to take more good ones. I agree that one can't have too many mounts. My wife would disagree, that's why the basement is mine.
grin.gif

Well here's the deal, wife says no deer head in the living room, but if I were to make a nice plaque mount of just the antlers, it can go in the living room for everyone to see. I should just put my foot down right? haha, because the couch never gets crowded at my house. But I am still having a hard time justifying spending that much money on a deer i might not get to put in the main part of our house.

In the eye of the beholder, sounds like a nice buck for a shoulder mount to me. I only dream of someday killing a buck anywhere near 140".

Mount that darn thing I tell ya!
You may never get a shot at another one that big. I have many smaller than that and am adding to that collection this year. I have a 138 9 pointer from last year getting done, a 161 11 pointer bowkill and a 137 9 pointer I shot today. All will be added to my wall this coming year. Even if I am only allowed one of them in the living room!!

mount it
man my bucks that ive had mounted at 143 7/8 and like 150 ish
and im am proud diplay them and they are not just to have ont he wal they are there for the memories of the hunt..............ibh

Ok, now I have a question for all of ya, how many deer do you have mounted? The only reason I am holding back on mounting this one is because I always told myself I would only mount one if it was over 150 or a nontypical or something weird. Plus I want my first one mounted to be shot with bow.
confused.gif

1005196010.jpg

Sorry I tried to post a picture of my buck, but it wont come up.

I mounted a 137" + 8 point last year & everytime I look at it I remember every little detail about how he got to be on my wall. To this day I can still see those antlers trotting down the draw towards me. He was my 1st "big" buck.
Now I'm looking for something bigger.

Forget what the wife says - stuff it. And if ya can't put it in the livingroom, just hang it on the wall facing the foot of your bed so she can look at all night & everyday.
grin.gif

Top Bottom