Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To mount or not to mount

Stalker, the rules of this state say that half of your house is yours. So legally half the walls of any room are yours to do YOUR will with. Time to start filling your half up.
evil.gif

Oh ya 10 shoulder mounts and just getting started.

AGS

My wife, bless her heart, has given me one room in the house to do with as I will. Currently has 2 shoulder mounts (a third on the way), 2 arrowhead plaque mounts, a bear skull, half albino rooster pheasant and a turkey fan mount. Combined with a gun cabinet and a couple of great paintings and the theme of the room is pretty clear. Gotta love it
grin.gif

Problem is, when this third shoulder mount comes back, that will pretty much fill the walls of this room, and I'm not expecting to spill over into other parts of the house. I guess from here on out, when something new goes up, something will have to come down. Oh well...

NWBuck

Here is what myself and some of my friends are doing. Our goal is 160" and over but whatever we shoot we have to mount and if it is not over 145" then you have to buy your own farm 5 apple trees and fencing. This has keep us honest and helps the farm. I have some nice apple trees!
grin.gif

I currently have 3 Whitetail(all under 140),1 Mulie, 1 Calif. Blacktail, 1 Antelope, 1 Rainbow Trout, 1 pr. ducks a 5 lb. Largemouth Bass and a Hungarian Partridge (not in a pear tree)!
I also have the 2 whitetails in my freezer and the one at the Taxidermists already.
Handcannon, I am with you on the hunt being remembered everytime you look at the animal on the wall. And yes I do have one on my bedroom wall, my wife has to look at it everytime she gets into bed!! hahaha

MOUNT IT! I have ten deer on the wall not one is over 140" I don’t regret any of them every time I look at them I smile and think of the great memory behind that deer on the wall, it's only money life is memories nothing else.

I agree with Camo and Handcannon, I would mount it. I mounted a 123 1/2 point one I got ten years ago. It is the biggest I have got to date. Seen bigger even shot at bigger but have never got bigger. But like Handcannon was saying I re-live that morning everytime I look at it in my basement. How I was hunting in SE Minn. in the "Big Woods". I was standing on a really steep hillside that was literaly almost strait up and down. I grunted him in about 25 yards. After I shot him he rolled down the hill about 75 yards. It took us 3 hours to pull him strait up the hill! I go to the Whitetail Classic every year and see a lot of deer a lot bigger then mine but still think my mount is just as nice. I would recomend the semi sneak. I like that pose.

I really like the European Mounts. I just finished one for a guy last week and he had no regrets in doing it that way. One thing to consider is having the cape tanned and saving it to mount later if you want to and doing the skull mount now. Best of both worlds and it gives you time to think about it.

582Skull-med.jpg

This is the one I just finished. Don't know the score but it is a nice rack. I think they make an incredible trophy mounted this way. (It also makes the rack look bigger.
grin.gif
)

It depends on whatever your priorities are. You can do a heck of a lot more hunting on what it costs to have something mounted.

If hunting is what you really love, then spend the money on more hunting.

You can lop the the antlers off and do your own home mounting kit if you would like to display them.

That really looks good Doug;
smile.gif
did you make the wood panel yourself? Also, did you stain the antlers, or were they that dark?

Top Bottom